Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stackin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
UK
Hi,

I am setting up an iPad Pro as a desktop replacement and intend to store maybe 200-300GB of data in the Files App. I do not want to use iCloud backup and prefer to do backups to a Mac Mini I have using iTunes/Finder. Can anyone confirm that the backup process copies the files stored under the Apple Files App?

The Apple documentation on the subject tends to only show what it doesn’t copy and I’d like some assurance that my approach will work. Alternatively, is there a way of examining the contents of an itunes backup to see what’s there?

All the files are stored locally on the iPad as it’s a 512GB model.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
AFAIK, there is no way to access files stored in files app apart from using third party software like iExplorer.

As for examining the content of iTunes backup, said third party software like iExplorer can do that.

Stackin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
UK
Thanks Shirasaki.

Thinking about it, I could use my old iPad as a test. I could create some files within Apple Files and then do an iTunes backup. I can then wipe the iPad and restore from the iTunes backup and see what comes back.

it will take me a few days before I’m ready to try this. I’ll post my findings here when I know for sure.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Stackin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
UK
Ok, I’ve performed my test. I made a note of the folders held within the Files App, backed up the iPad using Finder (formerly iTunes) and wiped the iPad back to factory settings. Incidentally, I used an encrypted backup as this holds more information.

When I restored from the backup, the folders were restored as well, which is great news. It seems that folders that relate directly to an App don’t immediately appear until the App is re-downloaded.

Hopefully this will help others who do not want to rely on cloud services or have so much data that it‘s impractical, For instance those creating Large video Files.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Files is more like an aggregator of what you have on the phone than a stand-alone app. Basically all that you have specifically in Files app you can see with File Sharing in iTunes/Finder.

p.s. And yeah, everything is backed up if it's not in Music/Books app, etc.

Reactions: Stackin

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If you’re ever concerned about keeping a hard backup, you can always connect a hard drive/flash drive to the iPad and copy everything across to it manually.

Even though I use iCloud, I’ve done this just to be sure I have a nice, safe backup of everything on a HDD I don’t use for anything else.

Stackin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
UK
Yes, that would be an option, but I’d prefer to use a backup utility to do this which would be quicker and easier. I think I’ve found the answer to that problem, thanks to another Macrumors member on a different thread. I’ve just downloaded FileBrowser for Business. It’s much more capable than Apples buggy Filer and includes sync and backup capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.