Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielCalladine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Sydney
Hello,

I currently have an old Macbook Pro with a big hard disk so my whole iCloud Photo Library is downloaded and therefore gets backed up via time machine.

I want to replace this old laptop with a new version that has a small SSD that won't be big enough to hold the entire library, so iCloud Photo Library would be set to 'optimise storage'.

With this setup the only place all my photos would be stored is in iCloud. Is there anyway of backing the whole library up to local storage? I know I could have the iPhoto Library on an external drive but that would mean keeping it plugged it all the time.

Thanks, Daniel

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
With iCloud Photo Library turned on the option would be "keep originals" which doesn't work because you don't have enough storage. What other option can there be than an external disk? Or a NAS?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I would just create a separate Library that you keep on an external with the full res files. Either that or just manually place them in folders on an external.

I keep all my photos in folder on externals and then just use Photo Library for stuff I want in iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.