Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Bit of a storage miscalculation!

Laptop has a too small HD Storage long term , if I back up iPad and Iphone directly onto its HD.

I.e.
My Windows 10 laptop - 256Gb Storage

Ipad = 512Gb storage (I aim to fill up with all my photos for last 30 years....)

iPhone = 128Gb Storage

Is it a workable idea to:

1. Have a external hard drive connected to laptop during back up of iPad and iphone

2. Set Itunes on laptop to point to external hard drive

3. Back up iPad and iPhone, not saving onto laptop drive, but onto the external drive directly?

Or would this cause issues?

Hope you can advise

Regards
Martin

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Hi All,

Bit of a storage miscalculation!

Laptop has a too small HD Storage long term , if I back up iPad and Iphone directly onto its HD.

I.e.
My Windows 10 laptop - 256Gb Storage

Ipad = 512Gb storage (I aim to fill up with all my photos for last 30 years....)

iPhone = 128Gb Storage

Is it a workable idea to:

1. Have a external hard drive connected to laptop during back up of iPad and iphone

2. Set Itunes on laptop to point to external hard drive

3. Back up iPad and iPhone, not saving onto laptop drive, but onto the external drive directly?

Or would this cause issues?

Hope you can advise

Regards
Martin

If I understand correctly you want to use the internal hard drive of your laptop as a backup device?
This is a bad idea. The internal drive of your laptop should only be used for the operating system and the apps/programs you install. Of course you can also store recently made documents and photo's there while you are using it (if you back them up later).

The most important reason not to use an internal drive as a backup is simple:
  • If your laptop/desktop computer fails there is a very big risk that you loose all your data.
  • If you loose/forget your laptop you loose all your data.
  • Laptops only have a life span of around 5 years. Backups (if done properly) last 'for ever'.

Always have a backup plan to an external disk (or NAS) in your home. Also when you want to be very sure, always make an extra backup to a medium outside your home for very important documents (Cloud/external usb with a friend etc.).

I can't stress it enough, therefore I repeat myself: never use your internal disk as a backup device.

Edit:

I see now in the title, that the topic is about backing up to an external hard drive. So part of my answer is based on a wrong assumption ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
hi andy,

That’s just it, I’m trying to work out how to not save onto the laptop hard drive, but if I can point iTunes to directly do a backup drive. So my back up would be - from the iPad, through the laptop, and directly onto an external hard drive

Does iTunes allow you to do that? Or does he get a bit funny?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I save my photos directly from my iPad Pro onto external drives. Before starting, I connect the external drive, and created a folder on that drive named Photos Backup. Here's the steps:

1. In Photos, select the photos you'd like to backup.
2. Tap the share sheet and select Save to Files
3. Select the external drive from the locations list
4. Navigate to the Photos Backup folder
5. Tap Save.

I haven't tried it with > 100 photos in a batch yet, but for the smaller batches it works very quickly. I do use iCloud Photos so for any originals not on my iPad, it has to first download them to the iPad to be able to do the save to Files > external drive.

And of course backing up to an external drive from the iPad works with other files as well. I should mention that I had formatted my external drives to APFS using Disk Utility on a Mac before I sold it. To my knowledge there is not a way to format an external drive with an iPad yet.

If you are going to use your laptop as well, I also agree with @AndyMacAndMic that backing up your iOS devices to your laptop is OK as an interim step, but you'd want to regularly backup your laptop using multiple methods as mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I save my photos directly from my iPad Pro onto external drives. Before starting, I connect the external drive, and created a folder on that drive named Photos Backup. Here's the steps:

1. In Photos, select the photos you'd like to backup.
2. Tap the share sheet and select Save to Files
3. Select the external drive from the locations list
4. Navigate to the Photos Backup folder
5. Tap Save.

I haven't tried it with > 100 photos in a batch yet, but for the smaller batches it works very quickly. I do use iCloud Photos so for any originals not on my iPad, it has to first download them to the iPad to be able to do the save to Files > external drive.

And of course backing up to an external drive from the iPad works with other files as well. I should mention that I had formatted my external drives to APFS using Disk Utility on a Mac before I sold it. To my knowledge there is not a way to format an external drive with an iPad yet.

If you are going to use your laptop as well, I also agree with @AndyMacAndMic that backing up your iOS devices to your laptop is OK as an interim step, but you'd want to regularly backup your laptop using multiple methods as mentioned.
That’s a lot of manual steps. Backups should be as automatic as possible. But more importantly, whole backups include more than photos and a few other files. Whole backups are for every file, every app, all app data, every setting, the whole system—so that with one restore you can be back up and running.

Also I assume OP is backing up the entire laptop to some external drive, so the iOS device backups aren’t existing only on the laptop.

OP, I back up my iPhone and iPad to iTunes, and I used to point iTunes to a folder on an external drive, but sorry it was a long time ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy. For what it’s worth, I don’t remember it acting funny, but I did eventually switch back to using the default internal drive iTunes folder just to be safe in general. One issue is that sometimes my external drives get randomly disconnected from macOS, then iTunes is unable to find its folder. Annoying to have to reconnect, but not the end of the world, unless one never checks the screen and assumes a device is automatically backing up when it’s actually not.

iTunes shouldn’t be backing up iTunes media from your devices since those already exist in the iTunes library, but a big camera roll can definitely create big backups. Sorry, I can’t definitively answer your question but my feeling is it’s probably fine. If you can’t find a good answer and are uncomfortable trying it out, you’re probably aware of your other options, which are:
- store all or the bulk of your photos off device on a cloud service (I believe iCloud photos can automatically offload photos after a certain capacity is reached; but of course you have to pay monthly)
- upgrade your laptop’s internal storage
- backup to iCloud? (not sure if this includes camera roll, and of course monthly fee if your backups are big)

I don’t know if this works on PC, but on Mac I believe there is another option where you keep your photos in the computer’s photo library application (Photos on Mac) and sync them to your devices via iTunes, which then shouldn’t include the photos in the backups since iTunes knows they’re already in the computer. But it sounds like you have or will have more photos than will fit in your laptop.

On an unrelated but kind of related note, iOS devices really need a better backup system in place where you can make versioned backups and browse/restore individual data and apps like in Mac’s Time Machine backup application. You can get around the lack of versioning by backing up your iTunes backups to Time Machine. But there’s still no browsing inside iOS backups, so you have to guess which backup you need and restore the entire backup, extract any data if you can, then revert back to the most current backup. It’s a complicated process with limited probable success. Rant over.

Hope you get everything worked out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.