Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
HI, thanks in advance for any assistance. I just bought an Iomega Black Series triple interface HD. I want to backup my Mac to it using SuperDuper. I also have a PC sitting around for when I buy an Intel Mac. I would also like to back up files from it to the HD. Will this work or will the formatting for each system not be compatible. Can I partition the drive so I can do this? I have 400G and don't need too much for the windows files. If I can partition, what program would you recommend?
It looks like Iomega says you have to format the HD right off with a Mac format and they don't recommend partitioning. Any opinions?
Many thanks!
Debbie

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I've never come across a HD manufacturer that recommends you don't partition the drive. I would stay away from a HD if I came across that recommendation.

Anyway, most external hard drives are easily formatted. I have a 500GB drive that I've split into three. One is a Mac HFS+ partition sized 20GB. I installed OS X on that to have a spare install, and to test out OS X updates before applying them to my main disk. This also came in useful when my wife's MacBook's HD failed.

The other two partitions are a large 450GB HFS+ for Mac backups and the rest is FAT32 for access from my Parallels XP install, and in case I ever decide bring my work laptop home again.

I used Disk Utility.

debrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
Backing up dual OS'es on the same external hard drive

Thank you! I forgot about disk utility! Didn't make sense to me that you would be advised not to partition. I read that on another forum. Plus the drive is Win/Mac compatible...
Debbie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.