Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll get a True Image license in retail. They are cheaper than directly at Acronis and I'll test the new 2021 version now.

You can get a key for 3 PCs for 38€ at ebay. I think that's a fair price

Last edited:

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah, no.

A short story that happened some months ago. My sister, a teacher, called me in full panic mode. All her school related documents, which she stores in iCloud, were gone. Her iCloud drive was empty.
So I told her to look into her backup. Which she didn't have :rolleyes: Luckily for her, Apple offers some sort of data recovery on the icloud website and I was able to restore (most) of the files. One of her kids managed to **** around in the icloud app on her iPhone...

One place is not good enough for valuable data. You absolutely need a backup of these files for that one time disaster strikes. You'll probably never need it of course. I, for example, never ever lost a hard drive before it was too late, but do I want to take any chances? Hell no.

Btw. Setting up my work computer definitely takes a while. And it needs my attention. A full backup is a press of a button and involves some time I can invest elsewhere. That's a huge difference.
Wow. Reading this just gave me a big jolt of anxiety! ? ? ?

I agree about "setting up my work computer" because it definitely takes time to setup a Mac or Windows machine the right way...

I do my backups using Windows in-built backup, stored on a local NAS. Never had a single issue to be honest. Really comes down to how much you really need backups and how committed you are to finding a solution based on how important your files are and the effect of downtime on what you do.

Cloud is fine for the majority of home users to ensure their photos and word docs are backed up without needing to worry about Windows.
Do you use Windows 10's in-built backup?

It seems like a user needs to constantly create a new "Image" of the entire HDD which takes a LONG TIME to do when you're dealing with a HDD that's bigger than 1TB... Does Windows 10 in-built backup do incremental backups at all?

Am I right about this?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Wow. Reading this just gave me a big jolt of anxiety! ? ? ?

I agree about "setting up my work computer" because it definitely takes time to setup a Mac or Windows machine the right way...

Do you use Windows 10's in-built backup?

It seems like a user needs to constantly create a new "Image" of the entire HDD which takes a LONG TIME to do when you're dealing with a HDD that's bigger than 1TB... Does Windows 10 in-built backup do incremental backups at all?

Am I right about this?
Not exactly. You can use File History and it runs automatically, and also manually create system images.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
To this date the Windows File history backup does not work on my work laptop. Every time I open it it says: no backup yet. It's highly irritating and I don't trust it one bit.

Currently trying True Image and it seems to work just fine. Seems to be exactly what I want. Too bad the cloud backup gets so expensive, will stick to Crashplan for that.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I don't know whats wrong with the file history backup.

1604596476837.png

It always says: data not saved yet (Ihre Daten wurden noch nicht gesichert). And it does not matter at all how many times I click the button.
I disabled it for now. :/

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I just used Acronis True Image (ATI) for cloning a Windows system drive and it is just as easy as Carbon Copy Cloner for the Mac.

Sabrent offers a free download of ATI on their website. I don't know if it only works on Sabrent drives but since I was cloning a 500GB Sabrent m.2 stick to a 1TB Sabrent m.2 stick, I didn't care.

ATI has a backup function which I have not used yet. I still use Windows 10 backup as well as the legacy (Windows 7) system image snapshot functions.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
To this date the Windows File history backup does not work on my work laptop. Every time I open it it says: no backup yet. It's highly irritating and I don't trust it one bit.

Currently trying True Image and it seems to work just fine. Seems to be exactly what I want. Too bad the cloud backup gets so expensive, will stick to Crashplan for that.
I was getting the same "no backup yet" message for a couple of weeks out of the blue, and found that the File History service had been set to disabled on startup. I re-enabled it to Automatic and now File History works as it should.

Last edited:

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I was getting the same "no backup yet" message for a couple of weeks out of the blue, and found that the File History service had been set to disabled on startup. I re-enabled it to Automatic and now File History works as it should.
that's weird and one more reason not to trust it :D

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Just wanted to update this thread. I bought a True Image license for 3 PCs after testing it for a while and I'm happy with it. It comes with more stuff than I need, but I disabled all the ransomware security features and use it exclusively to backup my work laptop and personal PC.
Can recommend it.

Too bad the cloud storage is so expensive, I would consider switching to it from Crashplan otherwise.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just wanted to update this thread.
Thanks for the update.

Too bad the cloud storage is so expensive
Not for nothing, this is one reason why I do like having my 360 subscription. I get a terabyte of storage, and I can store my documents, Pictures, and Desktop folder on OneDrive. That handles much of my backup needs, and the only thing I really need to backup is my lightroom folders. I may push them onto OneDrive, but I prefer to keep them on my local drive.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks for the update.

Not for nothing, this is one reason why I do like having my 360 subscription. I get a terabyte of storage, and I can store my documents, Pictures, and Desktop folder on OneDrive. That handles much of my backup needs, and the only thing I really need to backup is my lightroom folders. I may push them onto OneDrive, but I prefer to keep them on my local drive.
I'm happy with Crashplan, used it for years now. I collected a lot of photos and videos over the years and need 3TB of backup storage right now. It just would be nice to have both the local and offsite backup in one tool. But I can live with that.

3TB of storage would cost me 204,99€ while unlimited storage at Crashplan is $10 / computer. It's just too expensive

Reactions: maflynn

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Cloning software like Acronis True Image is the closest thing
But it is no good for a bootable one for the Mac Mike,
Winclone is the only one but had no succes with it. :(Last time i tried it asked bout permissions i have no idea how to change them.:(The time before it was about the block size.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.