Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Where is the option in iTunes to change home screens for iOS devices? I do not see it.

Are all apps and settings being saved to my iTunes backup? I’m currently using the backup to the computer option though I’m not sure where settings for this are. I want to make sure that if I need to replace my phone I can easily just mirror everything to a new one.

Thanks.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The home screen editing and app syncing were removed several releases ago (ie. with one of the iOS 11 [THE iOS11 release?] update).

You can install an older version of iTunes to get the feature back: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Some third-party iTunes replacement programs (eg. iMazing, AnyTrans) support app management, but are for pay.

Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Surprised they did that.

When I do a backup of my iPhone or iPad is it also backing up the apps and settings for the apps?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Are all apps and settings being saved to my iTunes backup? I’m currently using the backup to the computer option though I’m not sure where settings for this are. I want to make sure that if I need to replace my phone I can easily just mirror everything to a new one.
Thanks.

Most of your app data and settings and things like wall paper etc are still stored in an iTunes back up - you can also back up passwords etc. if you choose to make an "ecrypted back up in iTunes" - in iTunes 12.9 you can enable this by clicking on your iPhone / iPad in iTunes and selecting "This Computer" and enable "Encrypt iPhone backup" you will need to remember your "encryption password" for future access. Enabling Encryption also backs up health and home data.

iTunes versions after 12.6 versions of iTunes (as mentioned above by NoBoMac) cannot be used to manage apps and screens etc and also no longer store the ringtones or access books. if using iTunes 12.7 and above you will need to manage screens, wallpaper and ringtones on the iPhone and within the iOS. That said, you can still back up the phone with iTunes.

As per NoBoMac's post and link - you can download a special legacy version of iTunes 12.6.5.3 from the link above - but it will not install and is not supported on Mojave (so far - perhaps this will change after the offical release of Mojave)

What version of iTunes are you using? It will help provide more accurate answers.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
(My original post was regarding the need for encrypted backups in iTunes in order to preserve passwords when cloning a new iPhone from user's previous iPhone. Info was in a post above, therefore mine was redundant. Ooops. Removed.)

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Surprised they did that.

When I do a backup of my iPhone or iPad is it also backing up the apps and settings for the apps?
It backs up the app data and app settings and it will redownload the app from the app store upon restoring from a backup. All data and settings will remain intact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.