Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gimchess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
(macbook pro 15 inch, late 2008 2.4 GHz)

I reapplied the thermal paste for my macbook pro- have (had?) zero experience with messing around w/ the board so may not have been the best idea. I somehow managed not to brick it and it now runs 20 c cooler- but the back light for the keyboard does not work and and computer will not go to sleep when I close the lid.

I don't really use the backlight much and I can turn the computer to sleep manually- but I'm going to try to get those features back. Any suggests on where I should start?
[automerge]1593231529[/automerge]
(macbook pro 15 inch, late 2008 2.4 GHz)

I reapplied the thermal paste for my macbook pro- have (had?) zero experience with messing around w/ the board so may not have been the best idea. I somehow managed not to brick it and it now runs 20 c cooler- but the back light for the keyboard does not work and and computer will not go to sleep when I close the lid.

I don't really use the backlight much and I can turn the computer to sleep manually- but I'm going to try to get those features back. Any suggests on where I should start?
I've already reset the SMC.

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I would shut it down, disconnect the charger, open it up and check every connector inside.
You removed the board etc. so probably 1 or more connectors may not be properly seated.

Reactions: gimchess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.