Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmac011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
I am currently on my 3rd M2 Macbook Air 16GB/512GB. The first two had backlight bleed coming from the top left and bottom right of the screen very badly. This current Macbook I currently have does indeed have some backlight bleed (I think they all do) yet this one is extremely minor and acceptable. However I noticed this mark on the black portion of the hinge. Would you let this slide or return it? I just don't want to look strange returning for the 3rd time to the Apple store over something that is potentially laughably minor. I also really don't want to go yet another month without my mac since. Other than this scratch and a couple microscratches in the screen (which might have been my fault cleaning it too soon) it is a perfect device. It is only 3 days old...

What do you think?
View attachment 2048048

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I am currently on my 3rd M2 Macbook Air 16GB/512GB. The first two had backlight bleed coming from the top left and bottom right of the screen very badly. This current Macbook I currently have does indeed have some backlight bleed (I think they all do) yet this one is extremely minor and acceptable. However I noticed this scratch on the black portion of the hinge, I do not believe it is a crack as I see no clear seperation. Would you let this slide or return it? I just don't want to look strange returning for the 3rd time to the Apple store over something that is potentially laughably minor. Going without a computer for yet ANOTHER month will really suck but for almost $2600 Canadian with AppleCare+ perhaps worth it? Other than this scratch and a couple microscratches in the screen (which might have been my fault cleaning it too soon) it is a perfect device. It is only 3 days old. To clarify, the hinge scratch in this image was there out of the box.

What do you think?
View attachment 2048048
Would drive me insane, especially for the price they charge for them.

Could try and do what I did, ask a manager to let you keep your MacBook until the replacement comes in. That’s what I was able to do

macmac011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
Would drive me insane, especially for the price they charge for them.

Could try and do what I did, ask a manager to let you keep your MacBook until the replacement comes in. That’s what I was able to do
I'm heading to the genius bar tomorrow to talk to someone. If they can allow that it would be perfect, though I used a payment service to finance this mac (Apple 0% Finance through PayBright in Canada) so that may add a layer of difficulty. I would be happy if they could just replace the display assembly in shop within 3-5 days as I believe the black scratched portion is a part of the hinge. The body (bottom part) is flawless and mark free, so at least I know one half is good :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.