Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I just upgraded from a 2018 Gen3 IPad Pro 12.9 to a Gen6. I have been using a black Magic Keyboard and mouse for several years with no issues. I decided to change up a little, so i bought a white Magic Keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse do their job but the backlight on the white keyboard refuses to come on. I’ve gone to hardware keyboard setting and all that but the only way i can get backlight is to completely cover the keyboard. Of course this defeats the whole purpose for having a keyboard. Very disappointing considering I spent $350 for it. Backlight on black keyboard works fine with new iPad. Not sure what to do. I’ll probably take white keyboard back

Reactions: elago

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Same thing happens with my white MK. It doesn’t bother me, but the room needs to be pretty dark for the backlight to kick on. When I had the black MK, I did not encounter the same issue, so to speak. I tried adjusting the setting on my iPad and it really doesn’t do much.

That said, if you really need/want the backlight, I would return and exchange for the black MK.

Reactions: elago

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Thank you nburwell. I already have a black MK so I purchased a new white MK when i got my new iPad. Needed a what is it change. My black MK did the same as yours. Very easy to get backlight. My new white MK seems to be lighting up more than when I first used it so I’m keeping it. My office has subdued lighting which allows the white MK to light up.

Reactions: nburwell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.