Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzerobin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
Hello everyone,
I already searched a substantial amount of time but did not succeed yet.
I used VeraCrypt to fully encrypt my external hard drive named Media which contains many media files such as photos, videos and music. Now, I want to backup the external hard drive to another external hard drive called Backups using Apples built in tool called Time Machine. Before I encrypted Media with VeraCrypt I was just using Time Machine to create backups of Media on Backups. Unfortunately, it does not work anymore.
Just to make things clear: I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. When I open TM and click on options I see the Media volume under the volumes which are excluded from backing up. Of course, I tried to remove it but it is grey and not clickable, and I do not know what to do. Furthermore, if I use CMD+I on the mounted volume it tells me the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is supported by Time Machine as far as I know. However, if I go through the Disk-Utility app and have a look at the type it tells me the mounted volume is a Disk-Image-Volume, and Time Machine apparently cannot backup such a type.

So, my questions are:
  1. Is VeraCrypt compatible with Time Machine, i.e. can I use Time Machine to backup a Veracrypt encrypted external hard drive?
  2. I want to get rid of the built in encryption tool provided by Apple and use Veracrypt. So, can I encrypt the external hard drive Backups with VeraCrypt instead of the built in macOS encryption software and still use Time Machine? Note, I am using Backups also to backup my MacBook (I do not know whether this is a problem or not).
Thank you to everyone who can help me out specifically with question 1 since I already searched through Google, Reddit, AskDifferent, Youtube and VeraCrypt Documentation...without success.

Information: I already posted on AskDifferent and Sourceforge (Veracrypt forum, not very active) but did not get any satisfying answers...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.