Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InturnexStudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
icon350x350.png

Backup My Contacts for iOS
By Saar Baruch

Backup My Contacts brings the address book contacts backing up proccess into the 21 century!
With such easy to use interface it will allow anyone to easily export all of their contacts and save it on their Email and Dropbox with one tap of a button!

Don't ever forget to backup, with such ease you'll start loving backing up your contacts!

Restoring your contacts from every device is easy and fast! Just press the vcf vcard file on the Email client / Dropbox and restore all your contacts with one touch!

* NO LIMIT! Backup as much as contacts as you want!

Backup My Contacts supports Reminder option, you can set Weekly or Monthly backup reminder so you'll never forget to backup!

Download Link: Backup Contacts app for iOS

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why would I use this app as opposed to iCloud? I back up all my contacts with Apple. And it's seamless.
They are not really backed up to iCloud... they are just synced to iCloud. If the iCloud server goes nuts and deletes things, it will sync to your devices and also delete the contacts from there and you would be sunk.

I do something similar to what this app does on OS X Contacts. Once a week or so I export all Contacts to a VCARD file then drop that in a folder that is backup up via Time Machine and also an online backup service. So if iCloud goes crazy, I can always get my contacts back.

elthesensai

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Brooklyn New York
They are not really backed up to iCloud... they are just synced to iCloud. If the iCloud server goes nuts and deletes things, it will sync to your devices and also delete the contacts from there and you would be sunk.

I do something similar to what this app does on OS X Contacts. Once a week or so I export all Contacts to a VCARD file then drop that in a folder that is backup up via Time Machine and also an online backup service. So if iCloud goes crazy, I can always get my contacts back.
I thought that they were backed up.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
This is a useless App for the majority of iOS users. It's unfortunate that the majority of users don't even realize that their contacts are not stored on the iPhone is they use any modern cloud provider for email (i.e. Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc...).

What would be a useful app is one that shows all of your cloud accounts and your "locally stored" Contacts (which most users do not even have), and allowed easily copying Contacts between them. However, such an app would likely need to only be used one time to move all contacts that have been accidentally created locally on the device to a cloud account instead.

Reactions: elthesensai

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I thought that they were backed up.
They are "synced" and that is not the same thing as backed up. Like I said, if something goes wrong with iCloud it could erase all your contacts and they would be gone since you don't have them backed up anywhere.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
They are "synced" and that is not the same thing as backed up. Like I said, if something goes wrong with iCloud it could erase all your contacts and they would be gone since you don't have them backed up anywhere.
but something could happen to any service you use to save that information

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
but something could happen to any service you use to save that information
My point is iCloud is just a sync service and not a backup. I have that VCARD file saved in five places. I have it in a folder synced to Dropbox, a Time Machine backup disk, a CCC clone back, and backed up to Amazon S3 servers using the backup app Arq. So if any one of these "services" or devices breaks down I still have the file and can recover my contacts. The idea is not to have all your eggs in once basket like you would if you only sync to iCloud.

elthesensai

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Brooklyn New York
Do the app developers have access to this information? I know it's jut contract information but I have issues trusting companies with that kind of info. Apple has built up that trust. A small third party developer? Not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.