Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello,

If I transfer backup made by Time Machine to new then it will inherit bugs from old system?

Regards,
J.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Depends on how old the Time Machine back-up you want to use is.

If it dates from before you noticed the issues happening then probably no, they will not happen. However to be 100% sure it would be wise to erase the disk before you make the transfer.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
This will be installed on new macbook. For example I had issue with helper app in Clean My Mac application. Will this transfer this issue?

Regards,
J.
[automerge]1594052920[/automerge]

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
This will be installed on new macbook. For example I had issue with helper app in Clean My Mac application. Will this transfer this issue?

Regards,
J.

Clean my Mac is seen by many as one big bug. ??

But I digress. Yes, apps etc. will be copied back - warts and all.

That said, if the bug was due to the an issue only with the old OS then essentially it’ll be “fixed”

Reactions: me55

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Yes, this bug could be related to corrupted system. Backup does not contain Clean My Mac app. So any bugs related not to app but corrupted system will be fixed? I just wonder which backup to install. In newest I have some new apps installed. I older one before I noted this bug some apps are missing. So as I assume Time Machine backup does not backup system files and bugs related to system?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes, this bug could be related to corrupted system. Backup does not contain Clean My Mac app. So any bugs related not to app but corrupted system will be fixed? I just wonder which backup to install. In newest I have some new apps installed. I older one before I noted this bug some apps are missing. So as I assume Time Machine backup does not backup system files and bugs related to system?

Time Machine will backup system files if you tell it to (option to exclude system files). If there were corrupted preference files and those got backed up then files could be restored from backup. If you are concerned about corrupted files being transferred over then I suggest you manually copy (drag and drop) over your user data files to the new system from your backup. Stick with things like your Desktop, documents, downloads, etc. Things like mail can be rebuilt from the servers containing the mail. If you don’t blindly copy over everything from the backup you might be able to avoid issues from your old system. This is how I Usually setup a new clean install.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.