Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NC
I would like to backup my data to the cloud, and to my computer. This is because I have 8GB of photos in the camera roll, and do not want to pay for more cloud storage. However, if I am unable to sync to my mac, I want to have my texts, settings, etc backed up daily. Right now it appears it is one or the other. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I'm pretty sure only Automatic backups are one or the other, but you can manually backup to both whenever you want.

I want to do this too. Maybe have iCloud as automatic daily backups and then manually sync to my MacBook.

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NC
You can do both if you use the cable to backup to your computer.

I had it to automatic iCloud, and was syncing my computer. However, in iTunes it said that my last backup was the day I installed the GM. I think it can sync data but just does not back it up. I am looking for a way around this.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
When I plug in my phone, I have to manually change the backup to backup to iTunes. Once thats done, I switch it back to backup to iCloud.

What's the default storage for iClouds? I still had a subscription to mobileme that's not going to expire until next year so I when I transferred over to iCloud, it gave me 25 GB of storage but I don't think that's the norm..

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NC
When I plug in my phone, I have to manually change the backup to backup to iTunes. Once thats done, I switch it back to backup to iCloud.

What's the default storage for iClouds? I still had a subscription to mobileme that's not going to expire until next year so I when I transferred over to iCloud, it gave me 25 GB of storage but I don't think that's the norm..

Default is 5GB. It does not back up automatically when you sync with iTunes, but you can manually choose "back up"

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Its very simple it will only automatic backup to one but you can manual backup.
If you chose Icloud as your backup then when you plug the phone into itunes.
Right click on the little symbol to the right under devices and select backup.

Thats it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.