Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hi,

I know this question has been asking several times :eek:

I bought a new rMBP :)

Now i want to copy my Mail preferences email accounts and mails from my old rMBP to my new rMBP

Which files do I have to copy?
where is the location of these files?

I have read a lot of howtos but most of them are very old
Now I am lost :confused:

New rMBP and Old rMBP Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me
Came

Last edited:

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
You should use the Migration Assistant to bring over all of the settings from the old machine to the new machine. Apple: How to use Migration Assistant

Thank you very much, for your quick reply :)

I don't want to transfer user accounts, applications, documents, network settings, I only need my Mail preferences, should I need to use Migration Assistant still? :confused:

Will CCC will do the the job?
If yes, what hidden files do I have to copy?

Thanks
Came

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't want to transfer user accounts, applications, documents, network settings, I only need my Mail preferences, should I need to use Migration Assistant still?

I'm sure there is a way to do it without Migration Assistant, but I don't know which files to copy over. When given a choice between an easy way and a hard way I try to use the easy way. Is it really important to you not to transfer the documents? Migration Assistant can be told not copy the applications over, and you could easily delete the unwanted documents after they are transferred.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I'm sure there is a way to do it without Migration Assistant, but I don't know which files to copy over. When given a choice between an easy way and a hard way I try to use the easy way. Is it really important to you not to transfer the documents? Migration Assistant can be told not copy the applications over, and you could easily delete the unwanted documents after they are transferred.

If there is a way to do it without Migration Assistant, i would like to know :)

Yes, its very important to me not to import the documents, just like a clean install, i don't want to image how many unwanted documents i will have to delete after they are transferred, it could takes hours for me to delete them all of them :(

Only because i want my email settings files to copy over.... :confused:

Thanks
Came

ilandmac

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
In finder click "Go" while holding "alt" key down.

"Library" will appear in the drop-down list,

two folders belong to mail :

- Mail
- Mail Downloads

copy on a stick or small drive and substitute on the other mac.

Beware this will overwrite whatever is in mail on the new mac.
If in doubt, backup first

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
In finder click "Go" while holding "alt" key down.

"Library" will appear in the drop-down list,

two folders belong to mail :

- Mail
- Mail Downloads

copy on a stick or small drive and substitute on the other mac.

Beware this will overwrite whatever is in mail on the new mac.
If in doubt, backup first

Hi,

Thanks for your help... :)
Unlucky your solution don't work for me :rolleyes:

It is easier when you want to backup your Mail data and settings, copy the contents from ~/Library/Mail/V2 To a media... :cool:

-https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13985?locale=en_US

Thanks
Camelia

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
There is a plist file in your User/Library/Preferences called com.apple.Mail.plist. That holds all the preferences of how your Mail was set up. Copy it to a memory stick & then drag it to the same folder of your new mac. It will ask you if you want it to replace the existing one - Say Yes.

If you have already copied the Mail folder from : User/Library to the new mac and things aren't showing up - Go to the Mail menubar click on Mailbox and then rebuild Mailbox. ( you have to highlight in the left column, which mailbox you want to rebuild )

Last edited:

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
There is a plist file in your User/Library/Preferences called com.apple.Mail.plist. That holds all the preferences of how your Mail was set up. Copy it to a memory stick & then drag it to the same folder of your new mac. It will ask you if you want it to replace the existing one - Say Yes.

If you have already copied the Mail folder from : User/Library to the new mac and things aren't showing up - Go to the Mail menubar click on Mailbox and then rebuild Mailbox. ( you have to highlight in the left column, which mailbox you want to rebuild )

Thank you very much!! but I get sick with Mac Mail.app
Switched to AirDrop, works fantastic!!

Came

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.