Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadada2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Reaching out to the brain trust here.
I Recently just bought a synology DS920 to slowly replace my dated drobo that's been running strong for the past 8 years.
Here's my hardware setup and what I would like to do.

Primary iMac is used for graphic design where the Drobo is plugged into.
Secondary MacBook Pro, I would like to sync critical design files (~80GB) and have the ability to edit files on the road/ couch :)
synology NAS hardwired ~ 8tb
backblaze for offsite backup

I would like to keep my design folder synced between the imac, macbook pro and the synology and also have it backed up to backblaze.

I recently came across Resilio sync and it looks like it might be a good options to keep my folders synced up (they also have a Synology app).

What do you you think of the following setup:
Install Resilio sync on the iMac, MBP and Synology and target the design folder (80GB), it should like Resilio sync should sync between peers when files are updated. From the synology share where the design folder is, backup to backblaze for offsite backup.
Does anyone run a setup like this?
Do you see any issues with this setup?
I guess I could just run the backup to backblaze from the imac also but it's wireless vs the wired synology.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have done a bit of testing with Resilio to Synology, and it seemed good. Worth testing I would say.

Is there a reason you don't use Synology Drive for syncing? Both the Backup and Sync are pretty good IMHO. I am doing about the same (syncing folders on multiple Macs) but using the Drive client as it is native, and I expect it to improve and most importantly, be supported as Synology OS gets updates. Plus there is mobile client support too, should you need access from a phone or tablet.

You might consider also using Synology Hyper backups for more redundancy/restoration options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.