Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Ok,
iPhone6s - today I decided to do a factory reset due to random shutoffs. I connect to itunes and did a backup. No problems. Did my restarts and attempted to restore. It looks like it is working but at last minute it doesn't work and gives me the error: "...Backup was Corrupt or Not Compatible..."

So ok I searched that and found it may be to do with IOS version. Fair enough so i updated to latest. But it still doesn't work. Now here is the kicker - I think I was on 10.0.2. But now it is on 10.1. Is this the source of this problem ? How do I fix this ??? Can i roll back to 10.0.2 ?
[doublepost=1479048755][/doublepost]Edit: Well....sort of irrelevant now. The relevant backup files has disappeared for no reason

Edit2: Well the reason was my hard disk was full so as Apple support were making me jump thourhg hoops iTunes deleted the old one to make room for a new one. Jesus. Anyhow, Time Machine backup to the rescue so I have a backup from this morning

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Tumbleweed.... Anyone - can anyone offer any help ?

Anyhow - so I bought the software Anytrans as it seemed to be the best rated app for this kind of thing. Doens't work for encrytped backup - even though it has an option to enter passwrod - just doesn't work. So now I must fight with them for my money back.

However iPhone Bakcup Extractor free version does seem to recover data from the backup - but limited because free version. I'm not paying till I get the anytrans money back. But this proves the backup is not corrupt and the data still exists.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
So. A few hours with Apple support and restored an older backup. It seems it was nothing to do with versions - rather a file somewhere in the main backup is corrupted. So I lost a little dat abut not much all things consider. Very impressed with Apple support who gave me alot of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.