Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Sure this has been covered before.

I currently use Retrospect to back up all my work and it works OK. But does anyone know if there is a backup program that will not only just copy files that have been added or altered since the last backup, BUT will also remove the older version of the file? With Retrospect my backup gets bigger and bigger (I'm using a lot of very large Photoshop files) until I have to delete the whole lot and start a fresh backup as my backup drive is full.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Most backup applications will not delete an existing file in a backup when doing incremental backups. I am using Impressions Backup, Silverkeep, and Carbon Copy Cloner. The ones that allow you to do incremental backs will still create a new backup image/file/etc. and include the changed files. They will not update the original files.

I would suggest that you do a backup schedule where you do a full backup at the beginning of the month, then do daily/weekly incremental backups.

This way you start with a new backup set at the beginning of the month and can delete older months. Of course if your monthly backup is huge, this won't solve the problem.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
The trouble is that my Users directory is 36 plus gig.

I already do a regular bootable backup of the entire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

I'll wait until the new Sony 40 gig mini-discs come put and maybe there'll be a way to use them and just use a different disc each day over and over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.