Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Was working fine last night, then today got this error:

"This version of Backup and Sync is deprecated and may be shut down soon without further notice. OS X El Capitan (10.11) is no longer supported by Backup and Sync. Please upgrade to macOS Sierra (10.12) or higher."

Not an option for me since my Macbook is a 2009. Sucks but it is what it is. I suppose there's no workarounds?

2021-01-05-1.png

2021-01-05.png

Erebus-art

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
I was hitting my head on the wall for this until I found a solution in an alternative software: odrive.
It lets you sync with gdrive and other things and it works on El Capitan.
For now it's working, I hope I don't get any problem with it, and I just started using it and using the free version (there is a premium version with some things that I don't need from what I see, but could be useful to some people, dunno), so I cannot guarantee it's the best solution, but it seems the more professional out there at the moment (I've seen other open solutions or softwares that from what I see give a lot of problems to people, so I opted to try this one).

Erebus-art

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
One workaround is a dosdude1 patch to install a later version of macOS.

unfortunately my old Mac Pro 1.1 is not supported, the last official version that I can use is I think 10.7 or 8, while the unofficial one (that I actually use) is 10.10.

It's a pity, because with double SSDs, double barracuda HDs, 16GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5770 and some other tweaks, it's still a good machine, running even many modern games with a decent framerate (I play on Counter Stryke Go, for example, without much of a problem, or Max Payne 4, the last Tomb Raiders, etc.).
And is still perfect for my job (I'm an illustrator and graphic designer). I can't and don't want to spend 7k+ bucks on a new MacPro, they are overpriced as hell: this machine was almost top of the line when I bought it, and it was like 2k+ bucks, still overpriced, but for a machine that is still working well after 13-14 years, it's a good price.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
unfortunately my old Mac Pro 1.1 is not supported, the last official version that I can use is I think 10.7 or 8, while the unofficial one (that I actually use) is 10.10.

It's a pity, because with double SSDs, double barracuda HDs, 16GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5770 and some other tweaks, it's still a good machine, running even many modern games with a decent framerate (I play on Counter Stryke Go, for example, without much of a problem, or Max Payne 4, the last Tomb Raiders, etc.).
And is still perfect for my job (I'm an illustrator and graphic designer). I can't and don't want to spend 7k+ bucks on a new MacPro, they are overpriced as hell: this machine was almost top of the line when I bought it, and it was like 2k+ bucks, still overpriced, but for a machine that is still working well after 13-14 years, it's a good price.

I was responding to the OP. I've got Mojave running on a 2008 MacBook.

I've only upgraded macOS when I had to…for software compatibility reasons.

14 years out of a computer is fantastic. Obviously, you can continue to use it for what it can still do. Nine years ago I visited a shop that was still using a Mac on OS 9 to run a piece of machinery. If it hasn't died they're probably still using it.

Reactions: Erebus-art

Jupe68

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
I was hitting my head on the wall for this until I found a solution in an alternative software: odrive.
It lets you sync with gdrive and other things and it works on El Capitan.
For now it's working, I hope I don't get any problem with it, and I just started using it and using the free version (there is a premium version with some things that I don't need from what I see, but could be useful to some people, dunno), so I cannot guarantee it's the best solution, but it seems the more professional out there at the moment (I've seen other open solutions or softwares that from what I see give a lot of problems to people, so I opted to try this one).
Just tried odrive and it seems to work... I can't believe there is no longer a way to run Backupandsync on El Capitan?? Is it Google or Apple settings that are the problem? ?

Erebus-art

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
Just tried odrive and it seems to work... I can't believe there is no longer a way to run Backupandsync on El Capitan?? Is it Google or Apple settings that are the problem? ?
In this specific situation is a decision of Google to stop the support, but of course is all due to "planned obsolescence" of Apple. The new systems in the next years are probably going to work only on machines that are just a couple year old. They want us to change PC like phones :p

Reactions: Jupe68

gpaulissen

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
Was working fine last night, then today got this error:

"This version of Backup and Sync is deprecated and may be shut down soon without further notice. OS X El Capitan (10.11) is no longer supported by Backup and Sync. Please upgrade to macOS Sierra (10.12) or higher."

Not an option for me since my Macbook is a 2009. Sucks but it is what it is. I suppose there's no workarounds?

View attachment 1707347

View attachment 1707348

It depends on what type of Macbook you have, a late 2009 Macbook should be fine for upgrading to Sierra (see https://support.apple.com/kb/SP742?locale=en_US). If you have an earlier version you should surely have a look at http://dosdude1.com/software.html already mentioned before.

However installing Sierra may not be so simple if you can not find Sierra in the Apple store.
Here is how to install Sierra in that case: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
Please note that the file downloaded will NOT change the OS, it will just install the Installer for Sierra, Next you have to run the Installer for Sierra to change the OS.

You may also choose to add an internal or external SSD disk to install Sierra onto, but that is another topic. It may speed up your system remarkably especially when you replace the internal hard disk by an internal SSD disk.

swealpha

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2017
The most important is what speed you guys get? Or else there is plenty of third part solutions to connect to google.

Best i could get is FreeFileSync but even that is almost not moving. Very slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.