Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
A friend has never backed up her iPhone. She does not have a personal PC, as this phone is her 'life'. Because she does not have any type of computer at home, she does not want to use the one in the office - she has lots of very personal information on the phone. I called Apple and found on line it is possible to backup an iPhone to an external drive.

- My questions are, how to.
- Since iTunes 'snoops' so much on your device, would it be possible to backup the phone to an external drive without been 'tagged' by iTunes?
- In the backup process, iTunes may save some information to the medium (the office PC used in the backup).
- The easiest would be to just backup personal information to an external drive and call it a day (will be much better than no backup at all).

Thanks.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
all I know is that some third party apps could also backup your phone instead of using iTunes.

but without computer (PC or Mac), without iCloud, backing up personal information is nearly impossible, at least in my side. :(

iTunes allow users to select an external drive as its library storage, so if possible, you can backup your iPhone directly to external hard drive.

BTW: my whole library now stays in my external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.