Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Actually, this is a pretty cool app, assuming it works (at work now, can't verify). I'd need to rearrange my home directory a bit, or else tweak the scripts, but the concept of a more automated way to backup to the 'pod is a good one. I'll try it tonight.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Or you could just get a 200 gig external firewire HD for about 1/2 the cost ;) But I guess it's cooler to carry it all with you in your pocket instead of a backpack. Or you could get one of these :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
JDOG_ said:
Or you could get one of these :D
Well, Yes, those would be cool. But since they'll come out about the same time warp drive and teleporters do, it won't be as big a deal, as I'll never be more than a milisecond from my drive.

The plus to the iPod is that I already have it, and so there's no net additional cost.... :)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
feedback anyone?

does it really work?

does it sync any changes?

anyone tried deleting the home directory (of another user for test purposes) and copying it back?

amake

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
Madison, WI
redAPPLE said:
does it really work?

does it sync any changes?

anyone tried deleting the home directory (of another user for test purposes) and copying it back?
Hi. I'm the developer of iPodBackup.

Yes, it really works. The backup itself is performed by a program called rsync, which is a well-established utility for synchronizing data.

It performs an "incremental" backup, meaning that it will copy over any files that have changed since the last backup.

There is no facility in iPodBackup for restoring from the iPod. You will have to do that manually.

iPodBackup will ignore certain files and folders according to specific rules. By default it skips everything in the ~/Music folder except for the iTunes Music Library files. It also skips ~/Library/Caches, and a couple other things. You can see the details at the iPodBackup homepage.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
thanks amake!

i ain't an expert and after reading the webpage, i still don't understand all the information.

well, i will try it out. good job.

one more thing, i know that this is "illegal", but a simple "yes" or "no" would probably suffice. how about syncing only my music from my iPod to my mac? possible? please pm me, if you do not want to commit yourself here.

i am more interested in the theory than actually using it.

amake

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
Madison, WI
redAPPLE said:
one more thing, i know that this is "illegal", but a simple "yes" or "no" would probably suffice. how about syncing only my music from my iPod to my mac? possible? please pm me, if you do not want to commit yourself here.
That's not illegal unless you're stealing music. There are many, many apps out there for extracting music from the iPod; I recommend PodWorks.

I don't plan to include an iPod-to-iTunes sync function to iPodBackup. Right now I'm able to leverage rsync to do all the actual work; doing what you suggest would probably require me to do some real programming. :)

7on said:
How similar is this rsync with the psync that Carbon Copy Cloner uses?
I honestly have no idea, except to say that what I've gleaned from Google is that psync is like a slightly limited version of rsync. I imagine CCC's psync is also modified to handle resource forks; if that's the case, then they're probably pretty much equal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.