Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
just face it, i love it and i am going to die from cancer, lol.

actually i don't eat that much anymore, no $$ at college, oh well.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
mmmm bacon. . . best on a cheese burger. . . with extra cheese, bacon and oh yeah, jalapanos. . . . mmmmmm um i have to go now

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by srobert
hmmm... there is more bacon songs than I tought on iTMS.

Wow! They have songs about bacon on iTMS?

I'll have to get check that out.

I must admit, I'm a bad boy. I hab bacon for lunch yesterday again; that's twice in 3 days.
:eek: goes my heart
:D goes my belly

:p :p :p

[goes to the gym to work out and regain a clear conscience. Nah, whocares?]

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by question fear
powerbook g5, im with you on boca and the hot dogs...i have yet to find a satisfactory veggie dog, but i hadnt found a satisfactory sausage until boca either.
mm.
staying sorta on the top of pig and fake pig, ever have gardenburgers riblets? amazing.

SmartDogs aren't bad. I'm not a big fan of mass produced meat dogs, so when I get a hot dog craving I tend to go veggie. None of the 'lips and a**holes' for me. I've read Sinclair's 'The Jungle'.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Is there such a thing as bacon sausage?

I don't know if you'd want to eat an entire sausage made of bacon, but there's no reason you couldn't use lard or even bacon bits as flavoring if you made your own sausage. I've made pesto and pine nut sausages, and sausage with olives and sun-dried tomatoes, so it's certainly possible to stuff sausages with a filling containing bacon.

Hmmm, maybe a spinach and bacon and ground pork sausage with lots of red pepper flakes for heat sounds tasty come to think of it....

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
wow i cant beleive i didnt get a single subscriber email about this thread until NOW, even tho i had one of the first posts. :eek: :confused:

Anyone else reminded of the classic Duke Nukem Line?

"Makin BACON!"

he says it oh so well in Manhattan Project, just throw a few pipe bombs at a pig cop and detonate them. :D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by KC9AIC
I like Bacon even more than I like Spam (the mostly edible kind, not the electronic kind)! Unfortunately, Japanese hogs are fed fish, and so Japanese Bacon tastes like fish. Very disgusting!

And this is why I will never, ever visit Japan, despite my respect for and interest in many other aspects of Japanese life and culture: even the non-fish foods taste like fish! Bleccchhh!!!

(Needless to say, my grandparents--who both grew up on the beaches of Puget Sound eating all manner of things that came out of the water--disowned me long ago.)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Xero
wow i cant beleive i didnt get a single subscriber email about this thread until NOW, even tho i had one of the first posts. :eek: :confused:

Anyone else reminded of the classic Duke Nukem Line?

"Makin BACON!"

he says it oh so well in Manhattan Project, just throw a few pipe bombs at a pig cop and detonate them. :D

But Makin' bacon usually means sex...

hmm.... some interesting possibilities are coming to mind

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
curse you all. i should have known: resistance is futile. i broke down and had to get a grilled cheese with tomato & bacon for lunch.

Sincere

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2003
Wonderland
The favourite food of a one-time Jew

I was raised in a Jewish family, and though not orthodox, bacon was surely frowned upon. That said, my two favourite foods are bacon and lobster. I declared my athiesm around age 14. No God who created such delicious animals would forbid his chosen people from tasting them, unless he was a mean and spiteful god. So I remain athiest today and was thrilled to read this thread as I was eating a breakfast sandwich. Sadly, we are out of bacon and the ham had gone bad, so I was forced to eat a meatless breakfast sandwich. Oh the horror. Anyway, thanks for this thread and the interesting tales... And to the guy who mops up bacon grease with bread??? I hope you were kidding. Even my bacon fanaticism cannot support such gut-wrenching deeds... But every time I get rid of the grease, I'll always be tempted now... Curses.

--Sincere

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
My father used to recuperate bacon grease and keep it in the fridge. He used it as a substitute to butter when makin' eggs. He said it tasted better. Altough I just love bacon, I think it's a little too hardcore for me o_O

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by srobert
My father used to recuperate bacon grease and keep it in the fridge. He used it as a substitute to butter when makin' eggs. He said it tasted better. Altough I just love bacon, I think it's a little too hardcore for me o_O

Its a southern thing. You save the bacon grease for cooking other things. You have to be careful about frying with it since it has a low smoke point but there is nothing quite like hashbrowns fried in bacon grease...

Its also really good in beans. You can add a dollop of bacon grease to pinto beans as you are cooking them. Its also really great on green beans, better than butter.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: The favourite food of a one-time Jew

Originally posted by Sincere
I was raised in a Jewish family, and though not orthodox, bacon was surely frowned upon.
I've always wondered about this. Were the original prohibitions about eating pigs and other cloven-hooved animals based on practical health issues in ancient times? Were they based on the idea that the devil has cloven hooves? Are the prohibitions still observed today for the same reason, is it simply adherance to traditional habits, or are there other reasons? I'm not trying to pass judgement; I am truly curious.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Re: Re: The favourite food of a one-time Jew

Originally posted by Doctor Q
I've always wondered about this...

I'm also curious about this. I thought it had something to do with "bottom feeders". I might very well be wrong though.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Re: Re: The favourite food of a one-time Jew

Originally posted by Doctor Q
I've always wondered about this. Were the original prohibitions about eating pigs and other cloven-hooved animals based on practical health issues in ancient times? Were they based on the idea that the devil has cloven hooves? Are the prohibitions still observed today for the same reason, is it simply adherance to traditional habits, or are there other reasons? I'm not trying to pass judgement; I am truly curious.

It is mostly about avoiding eating animals that ate other animals. Pigs are omnivorous, most of the traife animals are omnivores or carnivores.

The seafood prohibitions also take care care of bottom dwellers (which can be rather nasty)

The meat and milk prohibition is based on 1 restriction repeated a few places (boiling the calf in its mother's milk) Which the canaanites did and then ate for symbolic reasons. Right next to that there is a prohibition of eggs and birds at the same meal.

There are some sanitary reasons for doing it. Trichinosis from pork, Hepatitis from shell fish. I think though that the Jews who observe, observe because they observe. They are God's chosen people and set aside. They have gone through a whole lot, where different cultures have tried to assimilate them and but by holding fast to traditions like this they have endured.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Stuff a pillow with bacon.

Use bacon grease instead of cologne.

:D

I was thinking of this. I don't like most perfumes that women wear. The more edible ones are fine though, Almonds, vanilla, etc. I think I could go for a woman who smelled like bacon.

(cf. McDonalds commercial where the guy uses a burger wrapped instead of laundry sheet)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Re: The favourite food of a one-time Jew

Originally posted by Sincere
(...) And to the guy who mops up bacon grease with bread??? I hope you were kidding. Even my bacon fanaticism cannot support such gut-wrenching deeds... But every time I get rid of the grease, I'll always be tempted now... Curses.

Hey! That's me! ;)
No not kidding :eek:
But don't image I mop up the whole pan. Just a small piece of bread on only one dip. Just for the taste. I'm not suicidal :p :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.