Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
My iphone 6S just died an hour ago. I'm hoping it'll come to life again but it clearly needs replacing, and my old Macbook Air 2014 that I use with a separate screen has a warning that the battery needs replacing and today it started sputtering. No Apple shops are open to replace the battery... but maybe I need to replace it? I have a lot of work on during the next December.

Funny thing is I have an Ipad 4 Air on order, due to arrive on the 9th December

I'm thinking maybe I need to cancel that!

I'd like some advice on a set up. I can't afford to replace everything new!

I wondered whether a Mac Mini with my current screen would be a good solution?

I'd like the next IPad Pro next year as it looks like it could replace the need for a laptop.

I NEED a new phone now - which one? I'd love an Iphone 12 MAx Pro, but I can't afford that and the ipad on order and a replacement computer.

I work with Zoom and spreadsheets, but I was planning to move onto video editing and recording to support the progression of my business, so maybe the phone is most important + something good enough to video edit.

I study so I wanted the ipad to take notes with the apple pen etc, maybe I could get a standard ipad instead for that?

Any advice helpfully received.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just replaced my iPhone 6s Plus with a 12 Pro Max a week ago, it's fantastic but really was expensive. At least I can pay that off over 30 months with no interest at AT&T. The 6s Plus is actually still going strong but my Nikon D80 died a year ago and I thought the Pro Max would be a good enough substitute for awhile, the camera is very impressive on the Pro Max.

My 2013 MacBook Air still works and (surprisingly) the battery is still pretty good. It has spent most of its life plugged in. But the trackpad is very flakey and I wanted something newer. Got a 2018 i7 Mini in June and love it. Has replaced three different computers by also running Windows 10, MacOS Sierra and MacOS Mountain Lion Virtual Machines. I don't travel anymore, don't really need a laptop. Have a 2018 iPad with rugged keyboard case that I could always take on a trip if needed.

The M1 Mini wouldn't work for me since I need the virtual machines, but might be a good choice for you and the price looks reasonable. The iPhone 12 Pro has most of the features of the Pro Max so that might be worth a look. I hardly ever use the iPad myself, it just doesn't do much for me and certainly isn't a laptop replacement. But that's all a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: kittur
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.