Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveCummings

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
Originally was going to do the trade in via Phobio and after requesting the box, I read the reviews and changed my mind. Going with Sellyourmac.com instead. Much better reviews.

deternal

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
I have a 2017 iMac 27 inch 512 GB SSD, 4GB graphics card in excellent condition and I wanted to get MacBook Pro with M1 processor. I paid $2100 for this config with education discount. When I contacted Apple support they made it clear that instant Mac trade-in within Apple store is out of question currently, but I could try online trade-in with their partner Phobio. I was quoted $680 initially with online assessment at apple.com. With my previous experiences with iPhone trade-ins with mobile companies which I never had problems with, I thought I would make this attempt especially with iMac relatively stationary with no physical damage and no problems whatsoever. I’ve also taken pictures of device just before I ship with shipping label in focus.

However my quote was reduced to $170 from $680 because of - “Your trade quote has been revised due to LCD damage. This includes dead pixels, bruising/burn in, no response on digitizer or any other damage that could be related to the LCD.”

Picture I took before shipping: -
Screenshot of Apple/Phobio’s inspection with “LCD damage”: -
Apple/Phobio’s quote reduction from $680 to $170:-
You can be judge of their assessment based on pictures but I’ve never noticed any LCD damage or dead pixels. And I regularly perform software/screen testing including Apple’s device inspection profiler which had no issues whatsoever.

The entire process of them receiving and inspecting device took 12 days because I was prompt in sending the device within 4 hours. However their quote is only valid 14 days, so depending on where you live there’s a good chance your device value will be reduced after initial quote. This package’s destination was Austin, Texas.

Their shipping supplies for iMac 27 is really not confidence inspiring with dents in corners. I took the effort to add more padding just to make sure device is secured. However the main concern is that there is good chance the device will be damaged with Phobio’s packaging especially with shipping back to me.

I’ll be requesting a return anyway but this is just an informative post for someone who are considering Phobio’s trade-in. Honestly this is waste of month’s time and effort to handle shipping process and even Apple Care wouldn’t have helped here because device is 3 and half years old. My only hope is my device won’t damaged with Phobio’s subpar packaging. It looks like Phobio’s business practice is to bank on customer’s patience and sunk cost fallacy. Good for them but this is something you need to aware of. Also consider that this bait and switch scheme would take more than a month or even longer for this entire process, so be prepared for the timeframe.

Personally I would rather donate my device for someone in need instead of cashing in for $170 for a bait and switch company like Apple (Yes they partner with Phobio but still). I’ll be taking back any future Mac purchases and planning to build a Linux machine here after.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is not unusual to trade in programs. If they find anything wrong they’re going to deduct it. I would not recommend these to anyone.

As to you saying you’re going to “take back any future Mac purchases”. That’s kind of silly and I don’t think anyone cares to include Apple. I understand you’re not happy you didn’t get the trade if you wanted but that’s just silly. It’s not like they’re keeping your computer so you still can do whatever you want with it.

Reactions: me55

deternal

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
This is not unusual to trade in programs. If they find anything wrong they’re going to deduct it. I would not recommend these to anyone.

As to you saying you’re going to “take back any future Mac purchases”. That’s kind of silly and I don’t think anyone cares to include Apple. I understand you’re not happy you didn’t get the trade if you wanted but that’s just silly. It’s not like they’re keeping your computer so you still can do whatever you want with it.
According to your profile, you have had quite few iPhones and I'm assuming you did few trade-ins. In my experience even with less reputable companies like ATT, Verizon, T-mobile the trade-in programs are relatively simple and trustworthy. If you've seen the pictures I've attached, would you say that this is a good-faith trade-in?

Apple being more than trillion dollar company, partnering with fraudulent companies like Phobio is warranted? Especially when I get the trade-in estimate from apple.com website.

I'll be taking back future Mac purchases especially because your quote "I don’t think anyone cares to include Apple" because I'm paying premium to Apple for relative Computer specs because of customer service assuming Apple would "care" about customers. Your other quote "It’s not like they’re keeping your computer", my main concern like I've explained is Phobio's subpar packaging, I'm confident my device will be damaged with what I've seen so far. My post is merely warning for people regarding waste of time/effort etc.,

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
According to your profile, you have had quite few iPhones and I'm assuming you did few trade-ins. In my experience even with less reputable companies like ATT, Verizon, T-mobile the trade-in programs are relatively simple and trustworthy. If you've seen the pictures I've attached, would you say that this is a good-faith trade-in?

Apple being more than trillion dollar company, partnering with fraudulent companies like Phobio is warranted? Especially when I get the trade-in estimate from apple.com website.

I'll be taking back future Mac purchases especially because your quote "I don’t think anyone cares to include Apple" because I'm paying premium to Apple for relative Computer specs because of customer service assuming Apple would "care" about customers. Your other quote "It’s not like they’re keeping your computer", my main concern like I've explained is Phobio's subpar packaging, I'm confident my device will be damaged with what I've seen so far. My post merely warning for people regarding waste of time/effort etc.,
I’ve done trade-ins but never through the mail. You keep using terms like fraudulent and scam but what act of fraud have they committed? If you read the contract it says they can give you that amount depending on the condition. According to their appraisal your Mac wasn’t worth that. At that point you just simply say you don’t want it and you get your Mac returned. Now if they just kept it and give you less I can see the problem. Also you’re complaining about it could be damaged in shipping but this hasn’t happened and you’re just expecting it for some weird reason. If it’s damaged in shipping then claim it because I’m sure it’s insured.

Again saying things like “I'll be taking back future Mac purchases especially because your quote” Makes you seem childish like you’re the person stomping out of Walmart because they don’t get their way. I have no financial interest in Apple so if you buy or don’t buy Apple products that’s not my concern. People in these forms don’t work for Apple and don’t represent Apple.

I understand you’re upset but you need to think logically instead of being all emotional about this. You didn’t get what you thought you were going to get because of the condition of your computer. At this point either post it on some online selling site or hand it down to a family member.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I have a 2017 iMac 27 inch 512 GB SSD, 4GB graphics card in excellent condition and I wanted to get MacBook Pro with M1 processor. I paid $2100 for this config with education discount. When I contacted Apple support they made it clear that instant Mac trade-in within Apple store is out of question currently, but I could try online trade-in with their partner Phobio. I was quoted $680 initially with online assessment at apple.com. With my previous experiences with iPhone trade-ins with mobile companies which I never had problems with, I thought I would make this attempt especially with iMac relatively stationary with no physical damage and no problems whatsoever. I’ve also taken pictures of device just before I ship with shipping label in focus.

However my quote was reduced to $170 from $680 because of - “Your trade quote has been revised due to LCD damage. This includes dead pixels, bruising/burn in, no response on digitizer or any other damage that could be related to the LCD.”

Picture I took before shipping: -
Screenshot of Apple/Phobio’s inspection with “LCD damage”: -
Apple/Phobio’s quote reduction from $680 to $170:-
You can be judge of their assessment based on pictures but I’ve never noticed any LCD damage or dead pixels. And I regularly perform software/screen testing including Apple’s device inspection profiler which had no issues whatsoever.

The entire process of them receiving and inspecting device took 12 days because I was prompt in sending the device within 4 hours. However their quote is only valid 14 days, so depending on where you live there’s a good chance your device value will be reduced after initial quote. This package’s destination was Austin, Texas.

Their shipping supplies for iMac 27 is really not confidence inspiring with dents in corners. I took the effort to add more padding just to make sure device is secured. However the main concern is that there is good chance the device will be damaged with Phobio’s packaging especially with shipping back to me.

I’ll be requesting a return anyway but this is just an informative post for someone who are considering Phobio’s trade-in. Honestly this is waste of month’s time and effort to handle shipping process and even Apple Care wouldn’t have helped here because device is 3 and half years old. My only hope is my device won’t damaged with Phobio’s subpar packaging. It looks like Phobio’s business practice is to bank on customer’s patience and sunk cost fallacy. Good for them but this is something you need to aware of. Also consider that this bait and switch scheme would take more than a month or even longer for this entire process, so be prepared for the timeframe.

Personally I would rather donate my device for someone in need instead of cashing in for $170 for a bait and switch company like Apple (Yes they partner with Phobio but still). I’ll be taking back any future Mac purchases and planning to build a Linux machine here after.

This is not unusual with Phobio, although in your case it is possible that damage occurred during shipping...definitely inspect the device closely when it comes back and, if damaged, make an applicable claim. I highly recommend taking high definition video of any device with a 360 degree view immediately before packing it up and showing the packing materials in this video, as this can be useful if an issue occurs.

I would try Mac Me An Offer as IMHO they are a much better company to deal with and they offer much more reasonable prices.

Reactions: russell_314

canuckrs6

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Here is phobio's reason for reducing the value of my new-in-box mac mini from $1080 to $820.
I didn't return it within 21 days.
They conveniently forgot to consider it took them that long to send me the return box.
Scumbags, plain and simple.

• Sad

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Here is phobio's reason for reducing the value of my new-in-box mac mini from $1080 to $820.
I didn't return it within 21 days.
They conveniently forgot to consider it took them that long to send me the return box.
Scumbags, plain and simple.
Yeah I heard they’re pretty terrible. I wouldn’t trade by mail at all.

I have so many questions though. Trading a new in box computer? Even $820 sounds good for an open box mini unless it’s spec’d up. I still would have been mad to get less so not saying you’re wrong. I expect what is offered.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Since Nov. I have sent Phobio an '18 rMB Air, '15 rMB, '14 Mac mini and an iPhone 8+. I received the quoted amount for each of the items. No issues with any of the transactions.

sunflowergirl97

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
Just wanted to come and share here. I guess this is one in the thousands of horror stories with this company. I mailed in my Ipad 5 was quoted a trade in of $175. Phobio sent me a pic of a crack and said it was now $20. It was in perfect condition when I mailed it. I had it in a case before I ever sent it in so not a single scratch or crack. I tried chatting using the live chat feature and was told the damage was my fault and they couldn't help. I called to speak with a supervisor and was told "No supervisor was available today". I informed her that I wanted to speak with a supervisor before I contacted the GA BBB and Attorney General. After this the rep on the phone then told me it looked like my damage was in fact from shipping and that she would be letting the supervisor know so they could process my refund. I am apparently supposed to hear back in a few days.

I definitely think there is something fishy with this company. I also think they are taking advantage of the fact you can't do in person trade ins right now. I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint anyways because I think others should be warned. I will come back and update with what happens. If you're considering mail in with Phobio I say save your time and your device.

EDIT: I filed a complaint with Apple as well as the BBB. I was emailed today and they said the damage was due to shipping and that they will be processing my gift card in 3-5 days. I want to note something though BEFORE I mentioned contacting BBB and the Attorney general they were dead set on it being my fault and there being "no shipping damage". They did not change this until I mentioned escalating my complaints. I want to note this because I wholeheartedly feel that they would not have remedied this without me strongly advocating for myself in that way. If anyone else is in a similar position I would suggest taking that route as well.

Last edited:

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
previously i had done two phobio trade-ins of apple watches and they went fine - estimate was equal to the inspected value. this experience gave me confidence that this company was legit.

recently i did a trade-in on a macbook air. they quoted $420 and just now sent me an email saying the screen has damage with a picture showing what looks like the kind of damage you get to the screen when you use a keyboard protector. a keyboard protector was never used on this machine. i had thoroughly cleaned the screen before sending it in, and that damage was not there. the quote was revised down to $170, which is absurd.

i made the mistake of not writing down the serial number, so i'm half expecting them to send me back a different computer than i sent in. if that's the case i won't be able to verify. i guess now that covid is winding down i can take this to an apple store and discuss it with them? or do they just not do trade-in in store?

anyway, never again, i guess.

Phobio Support

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
previously i had done two phobio trade-ins of apple watches and they went fine - estimate was equal to the inspected value. this experience gave me confidence that this company was legit.

recently i did a trade-in on a macbook air. they quoted $420 and just now sent me an email saying the screen has damage with a picture showing what looks like the kind of damage you get to the screen when you use a keyboard protector. a keyboard protector was never used on this machine. i had thoroughly cleaned the screen before sending it in, and that damage was not there. the quote was revised down to $170, which is absurd.

i made the mistake of not writing down the serial number, so i'm half expecting them to send me back a different computer than i sent in. if that's the case i won't be able to verify. i guess now that covid is winding down i can take this to an apple store and discuss it with them? or do they just not do trade-in in store?

anyway, never again, i guess.
Hi joeblough,

We really hate hearing that you've had a bad experience with your MacBook Air trade in. I understand how troubling it is to get a revised offer and that you feel uneasy about using Phobio for trade in. It's important that our customers have a great trade in experience and we never want anyone to walk away from our program feeling uneasy.

I'd really love to look into this for you, will you please email me at DaisyQ@phobio.com? I'd love to review your inspection results for you and I can also verify if your serial number was updated upon arrival to our inspection facility. In the event a trade is returned to a customer, we do make sure that the same device we receive is returned.

I hope you'll let me take a look at this for you,

Daisy with Phobio Support

Phobio Support

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Just wanted to come and share here. I guess this is one in the thousands of horror stories with this company. I mailed in my Ipad 5 was quoted a trade in of $175. Phobio sent me a pic of a crack and said it was now $20. It was in perfect condition when I mailed it. I had it in a case before I ever sent it in so not a single scratch or crack. I tried chatting using the live chat feature and was told the damage was my fault and they couldn't help. I called to speak with a supervisor and was told "No supervisor was available today". I informed her that I wanted to speak with a supervisor before I contacted the GA BBB and Attorney General. After this the rep on the phone then told me it looked like my damage was in fact from shipping and that she would be letting the supervisor know so they could process my refund. I am apparently supposed to hear back in a few days.

I definitely think there is something fishy with this company. I also think they are taking advantage of the fact you can't do in person trade ins right now. I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint anyways because I think others should be warned. I will come back and update with what happens. If you're considering mail in with Phobio I say save your time and your device.

EDIT: I filed a complaint with Apple as well as the BBB. I was emailed today and they said the damage was due to shipping and that they will be processing my gift card in 3-5 days. I want to note something though BEFORE I mentioned contacting BBB and the Attorney general they were dead set on it being my fault and there being "no shipping damage". They did not change this until I mentioned escalating my complaints. I want to note this because I wholeheartedly feel that they would not have remedied this without me strongly advocating for myself in that way. If anyone else is in a similar position I would suggest taking that route as well.
Hi sunflowergirl97,

We're so disappointed to hear that was your experience with out team. It's never our intention to make our customers feel as though we re not on their side and we want to look into this to make sure we are coaching our team to provide the best experience possible. You shouldn't have to file BBB complaints or Attorney General complaints to get assistance from our team.

If something happened to your trade in transit or while in our care, we want to make sure you have a full resolution. i see that you mentioned your payment was processed, but I want to make myself available in case there is anything further I can assist you with. My email is DaisyQ@phobio.com -- please email me if there is anything at all I can help you with or if you'd like to further discuss your experience.

We're terribly sorry to hear of the troubles you experienced and I hope you will reach out to discuss your trade.

Daisy with Phobio Support

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
In the event a trade is returned to a customer, we do make sure that the same device we receive is returned.

i sure as heck hope so. the machine did not have the damage your tech "found" when i sent it, but i don't have proof of that due to my comfort/complacency with the process. i'm half-expecting to receive a different machine back from you. without any proof on my end, this will devolve into "he said/she said" and i don't really think it's worth $400 or whatever for me to fight you on this. i'll just register my disapproval with apple and although it won't do anything i'm sure, i might feel better.

Phobio Support

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
i sure as heck hope so. the machine did not have the damage your tech "found" when i sent it, but i don't have proof of that due to my comfort/complacency with the process. i'm half-expecting to receive a different machine back from you. without any proof on my end, this will devolve into "he said/she said" and i don't really think it's worth $400 or whatever for me to fight you on this. i'll just register my disapproval with apple and although it won't do anything i'm sure, i might feel better.
If your trade was incorrectly revised, we want the opportunity to review the inspection results and rectify and error that occurred. We never want any of our customers to feel as though they are in a "he said/she said." We know it's concerning to receive a revised offer. I'd really like to look into this for you. If you prefer to speak with Apple, of course you should feel free to do so, but I'd love to help you with this myself. My email is DaisyQ@phobio.com. I hope to hear from you so I can help you with this.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
it's too late; the machine is on its way back to me. but thanks for the offer. if the screen shows the damage your tech found, i'm going to have to try to do some forensics on the SSD to verify that it is the same machine i sent in. i cleaned it thoroughly before sending it in and i know that damage was not there. luckily apple won't let you overwrite an SSD with 0s in disk utility so there might be some shreds of the old files that were on the disk before i wiped it. at least that way i can have some confidence that my machine was not swapped for another one on your end.

Phobio Support

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
it's too late; the machine is on its way back to me. but thanks for the offer. if the screen shows the damage your tech found, i'm going to have to try to do some forensics on the SSD to verify that it is the same machine i sent in. i cleaned it thoroughly before sending it in and i know that damage was not there. luckily apple won't let you overwrite an SSD with 0s in disk utility so there might be some shreds of the old files that were on the disk before i wiped it. at least that way i can have some confidence that my machine was not swapped for another one on your end.
Anytime - I'm happy to help in anyway I can, even if it's just with serial number verification. I understand your concerns and I'm here to help with anything you need. If you decide you want me to do a review, let me know. (DaisyQ@phobio.com)

indieshack

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Phobio support suddenly taking an interest in the long list of consumer complaints. At a guess Apple has registered concern about their service.
I just received a shipping container from Phobio for an imac Pro that's incredibly flimsy and all but guaranteed to get its contents dinged en route to Austin Texas. I'll pass. How awful that a prestigious outlet like the Apple shop website promotes Phobio

Phobio Support

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Greetings @indieshack,

We at Phobio appreciate your concern about our consumer complaints. We strive to respond to all reviews within a timely manner. I can confirm that our shipping kits are secure and had gone through testing to ensure their durability. Also, if there is any damaged caused to a device due to transit we hold FedEx accountable and issue out the full trade value to the customer.

If you have any other concerns please feel free to email me at phobiohelper@gmail.com.

Arthur with Phobio Support.

indieshack

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Greetings @indieshack,

We at Phobio appreciate your concern about our consumer complaints. We strive to respond to all reviews within a timely manner. I can confirm that our shipping kits are secure and had gone through testing to ensure their durability. Also, if there is any damaged caused to a device due to transit we hold FedEx accountable and issue out the full trade value to the customer.

If you have any other concerns please feel free to email me at phobiohelper@gmail.com.

Arthur with Phobio Support.
Not just the long list of consumer complaints are worrying:

1. The 21 day return cutoff puts the onus for ***-poor Fedex ground delivery entirely on the customer. The criteria should be a "sent by" date which is clearly verifiable by both parties - if Fedex goofs with its delivery taking 3 weeks to deliver something that should take 5 business days it's not the customer's fault.

2. The packing instructions nowhere suggest taking photos or video because the last thing Phobio wants is a contested offer when something arrives damaged from your ***-poor packing boxes or is damaged in-house at phobio.

3. Everything I'm reading about Phobio's business practises is crying out for a multi-state case investigation, let alone losing the Apple trade-in franchise

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I had a terrible experince. Mainly due to Apple. They never sent the trade in box for a MacBook pro after I ordered the M1 Air. I asked four times for the box and kept getting told it was on the way. Eventually got charged $750 for not sending it back... when they never sent me the box to start with.

It took HOURS (I would guess around 10-20 hours) of chatting and phone calls. I finally got a box and was told I would get CC refund when I sent it in. Never did. More calls and chats and hours. I opened a dispute with my CC (an Apple Card) and got the transaction deducted and under review.

Long story short, the whole process was about 4 months of teeth pulling headache. The icing on the cake is that I used to work at Apple (a store), felt like they'd at least care when I called in, and the whole thing from start to finish was an absolute disaster. Out of four months after buying the M1, the majority of it was either asking for a box to send the old computer back, getting charged for not sending it back, finally sending in the old mac, and still not getting the charged refunded until the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.