Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Hey I purchased some RAM off of the forums recently and installed it today. My 12" 1.5 PB is not detecting it. I've done everything I could think of and it still says that there's only 256MB ram installed (upper). I looked under System Profiler and saw this under 'Diagnostics':

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 1/2/06 10:56 PM
Result: Failed
Failure type: Memory
Memory slot: DIMM1/J31

Does this mean it's faulty ram? The guy I purchased from says he tested it and it worked fine so I'm not blaming him so what's the deal? I won't have time to go an Apple Store until the weekend so I'm hoping someone on here can help me out.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I would think the RAM you have is shot, or isn't supported by that system.

The only real way to find out would be to try an other DIMM and install that :( .

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I replaced two 512 sticks in another powerbook with the 1gig stick. When i pressed the power button, it made three beeps and that was it. What does that mean? Is the ram defective then? Because the PB recognizes the two 512 sticks and loads up normally but this other one is causing problems. Send it back to the guy I got it from?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Counterfit said:
Try switching the slots around. Put the new stick in the upper slot, and the old in the lower.
Hey, I got a new 12" pb like this one -- I thought it only had one memory slot. Haven't looked yet.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
California said:
Hey, I got a new 12" pb like this one -- I thought it only had one memory slot. Haven't looked yet.

the other stick of ram is built in. to.. the.. logic board, i believe? i didn't want to pry open my powerbook to get to it. (to other members, is that the only way for me to get to the other slot?)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Counterfit said:
Try switching the slots around. Put the new stick in the upper slot, and the old in the lower.
Nope. The 12" has only one memory socket.. The 256 is soldered onto the motherboard.

Make sure you have the SODIMM fully inserted into the socket at the 30 degree angle before you lay it down to the flat position, you shoud see none or very little of the gold contacts remaining visible.

Otherwise, bad module.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
CanadaRAM said:
Make sure you have the SODIMM fully inserted into the socket at the 30 degree angle before you lay it down to the flat position, you shoud see none or very little of the gold contacts remaining visible.

That is a great point, a simple re-seat of a memory is often a cure for memory issues when working with new memory, or on memory that has been installed in a system for a long time.
Holy run on sentence Batman!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.