Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
My studio is coming together nicely. I've decided on a pair of Event ALP5's (as they are not overpriced in Australia unlike everything else) to go with a presonus firebox and AT2020. Now I just need to afford a trap and I'll be sorted.

Anyhoo...I'm not sure what sort of cable to get for the monitors, balanced or unbalanced. I don't really know what the difference is. So any enlightenment on this would also be appreciated. Also should I lash out and get monster cable or would it be overkill in my case?

Also what are the four line out's for? Why four. What would the other two be used for.

PS sorry for the dumbassed questions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 221

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
short answer first: balanced for your monitors.

medium answer: generally, the type of cable used is dictated by the gear being connected. i.e. each connection will be either balanced or unbalanced, so use the appropriate cable. in the case of connecting balanced to unbalanced, or vice versa, i use balanced.

longer answer: unbalanced, or TS (tip sleeve), cables have two wires carrying the signal, whereas balanced, or TRS (tip ring sleeve), have three. balanced connections are less prone to interference because the having the third wire allows any interference picked up along the way to be subtracted out.

regarding brands, first and foremost avoid monster cable: it's crap, it's overpriced, and they have ridiculous business practices. good cabling, imo, is important.

atm i have mogami cables connecting my monitors. there are a number of good brands; i tend to use mogami, belden and redco.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
OK that's good I'll keep an eye out for those cables. I might even get a pair of KRK V4's that are shop floor demos at the right price.

The next most obvious question is, why isn't everything 'balanced' why aren't all connections 'balanced' is there some situations when a TS connection is better?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
balancing a connection requires a transformer on each end. this adds cost and complexity, plus distortion (where "distortion" means it alters the waveform, not that it adds grunge a la a distortion pedal).

additionally, some connections are unbalanced perhaps because they've always been, like a guitar to an amp. that's more of a guess than a definitive answer.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
For monitors,

Use balanced. When in doubt, use balanced. I also 2nd the vote for Mogami. Most of the cabling for my recording rig is Mogami.

Also, the 4 line outputs can be used to send your mix or whatever to other devices, stereo recorders, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.