Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I have an M1 Max with 32GB RAM. It runs the game at 4K smoothly, even in act 3. I didn't measure the exact FPS but I don't experience any stutter when playing.

There do seem to be some graphical glitches though, especially with character skin, which can appear somewhat pixelated (lacking a better term).

Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have found that whatever settings the game chooses automatically tend to work well. I've read about animation issues, but have not seen any myself.

slquoue

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
Argh, I really want to know how people with lower spec machines find playing the game.

slquoue

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
What Apple chip and RAM do you use to play Baldur's Gate 3? Does it run perfectly?

I'm trying to get as many responses as possible to help me with a decision re which M3 Macbook to buy.

Thanks

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I am currently using a M2 Pro 14", and it runs BG3 pretty well. I use a modest 1920x1200 resolution, medium settings, and usually get a pretty consistent 60 FPS in the game. Makes my laptop heat up something fierce though. I may drop the res to 1280x800 to ease the load a bit. I don't want to drop visual settings below medium though, as the game visuals start to take a pretty bad hit at that point. I may cap it at 30 FPS as well. It's not a fast moving game, so that cap should be acceptable.

Reactions: delsoul

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Argh, I really want to know how people with lower spec machines find playing the game.

I play on a base M2 Pro mini and it plays fine on "High" settings. I just started another thread on the AMD Fidelity scaling optimizer which really kicked the FPS up (from 30 to 55 or so).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm on a 2020 iMac (i9, 32 GB, 5700 XT) and the performance is fairly disappointing on higher settings. However, I haven't done too much fiddling: for some reason whenever I change a video setting I then need to quit and relaunch the game (can't find any other reports of this) so it's been too much trouble to try to find the "best" settings, and I probably have the quality set lower than it "needs" to be.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm on a 2020 iMac (i9, 32 GB, 5700 XT) and the performance is fairly disappointing on higher settings. However, I haven't done too much fiddling: for some reason whenever I change a video setting I then need to quit and relaunch the game (can't find any other reports of this) so it's been too much trouble to try to find the "best" settings, and I probably have the quality set lower than it "needs" to be.
What did the game "autodetect" the settings as?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Sorry, but I dare not let it autodetect again for fear of having to reconfigure everything one setting at a time.
no worries. The porting house claimed that on macOS the auto detect setting should have provided adequate performance (per the MrMacRight YT video). At least on Apple Silicon hardware this is mostly true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.