Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
A thread to discuss everything related to German banking and finance related stuff!

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Well, Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank are the big two private banks.

You're right, Sparkasse Siegen tested MasterCard Debit but I'm not sure what the result of this phase is: https://www.it-finanzmagazin.de/deb...-siegen-testet-die-girocard-konkurrenz-59757/

I found this a few days ago: Sparkasse Mecklenburg-Neustrelitz have "built" their own Visa Debit card. It basically works the same as the ING VISA card: Pending payments get processed within 1-3 days and basically acts as a Debit card. https://www.spk-mecklenburg-strelitz.de/de/home/privatkunden/kreditkarte/visa-basis.html?n=true

Visa hasn't actually launched their Debit product in Germany yet (apart from Consorsbank, that seems to be some special deal).

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Hmm. The fotos of the Spk Mck-Neustrdings say "Visa prepaid", so they connected the regular bank account as the "prepaid" clearining account to that card?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Hmm. The fotos of the Spk Mck-Neustrdings say "Visa prepaid", so they connected the regular bank account as the "prepaid" clearining account to that card?
Yep. It's basically the same as with ING (their card is chipped as 'credit' though).

Interesting concept and clearly shows that Visa has some potential by bringing their Visa Debit model to Germany.

My local Sparkasse offers a similar product, but the card has its own account that you need to top up with money.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
my S offers for younger customers (pupils, students, "Azubis", etc.) a MasterCard prepaid as "x-tension" (or something like that). I think, it's the same process... second clearing account to charge the prepaid-card. well, why not.

more interesting how the DK reacts to MC debit and Visa debit, IF major banks introduce them and gain market share.

the DB card plus for example.... don't think that is a big success as it is a optional addon with costs. but the CommerzBank card.... hmm.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
but the CommerzBank card.... hmm.

Well in my Commerzbank account (it's free) it's an additional 3,50€ a month. Free in the first year. Then again: Some banks charge a yearly fee for their Girocard o_O

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
yeah, but everyone complains about fees for bank accounts. that would be old and grumpy and "wucher" and so on. so if that's the benchmark, then you have to be "better" than this ;)

btw: I never had to pay for my bank account cards. at no bank.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
btw: I never had do pay for my bank account cards. at no bank.
That's great, neither do I.

But there are plenty out there that do :D

And I also assume that, as you mention in the other thread, first VPay will die (probably quicker than we think) and then Maestro. No room for both systems and as the market consolidates, GIrocard will have a tough market to get through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.