Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
A dot under an app icon means the app is running, e.g.:

1630021256876.png

But what does it mean if there's a bar between two app icons?:
1630027690481.png

If I open the two apps, then I get dots underneath both of them. But the bar remains:

1630027755740.png

I've never seen this before, so it could just be a meaningless artifact that will disappear when I restart my computer....but I'll leave it running for now in case there's a way to check what's going on.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
A dot under an app icon means the app is running, e.g.:

View attachment 1823869

But what does it mean if there's a bar between two app icons?:
View attachment 1823900

If I open the two apps, then I get dots underneath both of them. But the bar remains:

View attachment 1823901

I've never seen this before, so it could just be a meaningless artifact that will disappear when I restart my computer....but I'll leave it running for now in case there's a way to check what's going on.

Are you using some sort of custom dock theme? Doesn't look "stock" to me. Have you tried interacting with that bar by clicking and dragging or anything?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Are you using some sort of custom dock theme? Doesn't look "stock" to me. Have you tried interacting with that bar by clicking and dragging or anything?
No custom dock theme. Why does it look custom? It's semi-transparent, so it has a mustard-colored background because of the standard High Sierra wallpaper that's underneath it which, at the bottom of the screen, is lake water near sunrise or sunset.

I had to reboot my computer, and the bar is gone, and thus I can't do any testing on it. Maybe it was just an artifact.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have seen a 'progress bar' appear under the App icon while downloading an application program. Perhaps you had initiated a download which had been stopped for some reason, leaving the empty progress bar showing?

Reactions: theorist9

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
No custom dock theme. Why does it look custom? It's semi-transparent, so it has a mustard-colored background because of the standard High Sierra wallpaper that's underneath it which, at the bottom of the screen, is lake water near sunrise or sunset.

Well, it's been a long while since I used High Sierra, and I just never remember the dock appearing that bright pumpkin orange color (I always keep the stock wallpaper too). Looks more solid in your screenshots than semi-transparent. I guess since the screen shots were such a small prtion of the dock, the lack of context threw me off

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I have seen a 'progress bar' appear under the App icon while downloading an application program. Perhaps you had initiated a download which had been stopped for some reason, leaving the empty progress bar showing?

But that would appear directly underneath the app's icon, not between two apps, as far as I know.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I can only think of the download progress bar. It is weird that it's not fully underneath a particular icon.

I assume you've tried restarting the dock? This example also has the bar between two icons.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Yes, I think I did interrupt a download; it's possible the bar's placement got messed up due to a glitch. Interestingly, the version of Kindle I ended up downloading kept crashing. I thought that was due to a compatability problem between the new Kindle version and HS. But maybe it was a corrupted download.

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Well, it's been a long while since I used High Sierra, and I just never remember the dock appearing that bright pumpkin orange color (I always keep the stock wallpaper too). Looks more solid in your screenshots than semi-transparent. I guess since the screen shots were such a small prtion of the dock, the lack of context threw me off
This should give you the context missing from the tiny screenshots:)...looks like it's "semi-transparent" in the sense that it adopts some average of the background color, but none of the details, which causes the dock's own background to appear solid.

1630104027232.png

For comparison, here it is with a white background. Notice the gradual transition at the left. So there's a lot of averaging—probably to keep the dock's own background relatively non-distracting. Completely OT from my question, but still fun to explore; I've never given much thought to it before.
1630104646065.png

Last edited:
Reactions: usagora

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I can only think of the download progress bar. It is weird that it's not fully underneath a particular icon.

I assume you've tried restarting the dock? This example also has the bar between two icons.
Nice find! I didn't restart the Dock, but when I rebooted it disappeared. It seems like it was a progress bar whose placement was offset due to a glitch.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.