Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elcuco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2002
The article has been updated with graphs in addition to a second page showing a "memory speed graph" and additional tests. Still shows that there is no speed gain on the new powermacs vs. the old powermacs.

Read on .... http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The speed gains when multitasking arn't too bad though, that should mean people running lots of CPU intensive software at once are going to be happier with the new Dual Ghz model than the old one but people who don't run lots of cpu crunching apps at once will be happy with older dual Ghz model.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
hey could the fact that the old dual 1GHZ uses 1024MB in its testing and only 768MB in the new dual 1GHZ effect the results. Shouldn't they test the machines with equal amounts of RAM?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
hey could the fact that the old dual 1GHZ uses 1024MB in its testing and only 768MB in the new dual 1GHZ effect the results. Shouldn't they test the machines with equal amounts of RAM?

That would be appropriate so that virtual memory is sized the same as well. A slower drive speed could degrade system performance in Mac OS X because of virtual memory.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Why do people put so much importance on the stuff that barefeats puts out? Even if the tests were proper, what does it prove?

What it proves is that the new "mid-line" Mac is equal in speed to the old "top-line". I'd say that's an improvement. Plus you get all the other goodies for only a little more money (before the price cuts). That ain't bad.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by ftaok
Why do people put so much importance on the stuff that barefeats puts out? Even if the tests were proper, what does it prove?

What it proves is that the new "mid-line" Mac is equal in speed to the old "top-line". I'd say that's an improvement. Plus you get all the other goodies for only a little more money (before the price cuts). That ain't bad.

hey i don't give a %@#*, I'm getting myself a dual 1.25 after the october 1st monitor rebate.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by ftaok

well it shows that the new technology Apple is touting doesn't do jack to improve the overall performance.

It begs the question of Why the Mobo redesign? It's not for these G4s. Is it to accomodate future technologies like Firewire 2 and faster graphics cards? Or is it to accomodate a different kind of processor? Makes you wonder...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by dongmin

well it shows that the new technology Apple is touting doesn't do jack to improve the overall performance.

It begs the question of Why the Mobo redesign? It's not for these G4s. Is it to accomodate future technologies like Firewire 2 and faster graphics cards? Or is it to accomodate a different kind of processor? Makes you wonder...
I disagree. The new Dual-Gig kept up with the old Dual-Gig. Even with half the L3 cache and 256MB less RAM.

Plus, a fairer comparo would be between the QS 933 vs. the Mirror 2x1ghz. And get the same amount of RAM, for pete's sake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.