Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Howdy. I’m still pretty new to Mac OS, so may be missing something obvious. I want to be able to open my Mac Calendar app and see entries from my Google Calendar. If I go to Settings>Internet Accounts>Google and check the Calendars box, I immediately see my Google Calendar entries in my Mac calendar app. So far so good. But what I also see is an email alert about an upcoming event. And if I keep the box checked, the alerts keep coming, at odd intervals, but mostly 30-90 minutes. Yesterday I got 12 alerts before unchecking the box, at which point the alerts stop. If I re-check the box, an alert is generated immediately, so I’m sure that’s what’s doing it. These alerts come a) even with Mac calendar notifications off and b) even with Google Calendar event notifications off. Both the alert sender and recipient are <me>@gmail.com. If the alert was coming from Google Calendar, OTOH, that would show as the originator. Those notifications look completely different than these spurious alerts.

So - what’s going on and how do fix it? Thanks!

Contruba

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
Hi Peter,

Thanks for asking, as no one else on the internet seems to have asked and I thought I was going crazy! :)

Putting this here for others. The only way I was able to remove the multiple, weird 'Alert' emails was to remove 'Mail' from the 'Internet Accounts'. That is System Preferences -> Internet Accounts -> Select account and uncheck 'Mail'. For myself, I don't use the Apple Mail app, so this works for me. It also implies the Mail app is to blame, so that might help others figure it out if they must use the Apple Mail application.

Also, this will keep the banner/alert notifications that come up at the top right of the screen. I wanted to keep those, but avoid the 'Alert' emails. The only other solutions I have found online require you to turn off all alerts/notifications, which didn't work for my needs.

Cheers!

peter108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Hi Peter,

Thanks for asking, as no one else on the internet seems to have asked and I thought I was going crazy! :)

Putting this here for others. The only way I was able to remove the multiple, weird 'Alert' emails was to remove 'Mail' from the 'Internet Accounts'. That is System Preferences -> Internet Accounts -> Select account and uncheck 'Mail'. For myself, I don't use the Apple Mail app, so this works for me. It also implies the Mail app is to blame, so that might help others figure it out if they must use the Apple Mail application.

Also, this will keep the banner/alert notifications that come up at the top right of the screen. I wanted to keep those, but avoid the 'Alert' emails. The only other solutions I have found online require you to turn off all alerts/notifications, which didn't work for my needs.

Cheers!
Glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, that's exactly what I ended up doing. Which is a shame, because I rather liked Apple's Mail app. Instead I just use Thunderbird or Gmail in a browser.

Reactions: Contruba

peter108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I don't have this issue. I only get emails (to the corresponding Gmail account) when I have such email alerts set up at the Google calendar web portal.
My problem happened even with those notifications turned off. As I mentioned in my OP, the senders are different for the "barrage" emails versus those requested via alert setting.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My problem happened even with those notifications turned off. As I mentioned in my OP, the senders are different for the "barrage" emails versus those requested via alert setting.
Right. Just pointing out that it's not a issue for all.

I'd be checking my Google account for "Apps with access to your account" (or services) to see if something unexpected is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.