Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
I'm currently debating whether to get the base 14" or 16" MacBook Pro 2021. I was set on the 16" but am now thinking it would maybe be best to get a base 14" w/ a monitor, my question is, will 8 cores & 16GB in the base model be enough for programming on Xcode. Ideally I will want this laptop to last several years as well, but don't really want to spend more than £2,000, max £2,400. I've had my mid-2014 since release and since starting to learn iOS development it's struggling in Xcode, also the battery needs replacing so it's time for an upgrade. I do work a lot on the sofa/in bed and would prefer the screen size of the 16" but it would be pushing my budget to buy a monitor as well. I've noticed increased eye strain from my current 13" retina over the years so would appreciate advice from anyone who has bought the 14" how they're finding the screen size. Or anyone who has the 16" how do you find the weight?

I also don't know much about monitors, if I do decide to go for one would something like this be good enough - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0886LB...b-1415239606133145600-21&geniuslink=true&th=1

anthny6800

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I just picked up the 14" base, 512gb, 16gb, and this monitor: LG 32UN650-W - color accurate and 32 instead of 27...

If cost is an issue I think this setup is the value sweet-spot, I also will add the 4gb sandisk extreme to cover my storage, keeping only the OS and apps on the 512 drive. Checkout benchmarks regarding xcode and what your needs are there.

If you plan to do most of your work from the laptop screen, I think the 16", 1tb would be a better bet.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I got the 16" base M1 Pro. With 16gb of ram. Tho with 1tb of storage. It's so much nicer to code in it lol. Compared to my old 11 inch 2014 MBA lol. But yeah. I would go with it if you like to code outside of your docked environment. But if you mostly do it at home docked with monitor etc. I think 14inch could be the one for you

Beth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
I just picked up the 14" base, 512gb, 16gb, and this monitor: LG 32UN650-W - color accurate and 32 instead of 27...

If cost is an issue I think this setup is the value sweet-spot, I also will add the 4gb sandisk extreme to cover my storage, keeping only the OS and apps on the 512 drive. Checkout benchmarks regarding xcode and what your needs are there.

If you plan to do most of your work from the laptop screen, I think the 16", 1tb would be a better bet.
Thank you, think I'm going to go with the same. Wish I could go and view them really but don't have time before the Black Friday sales end. The only thing that makes me want to go with the 16" is the fact that I always work from home but then as you said using a 14" with a monitor would be the best for my budget. Do you mind me asking what kind of workload you have and how the base 14" is handling it?

I got the 16" base M1 Pro. With 16gb of ram. Tho with 1tb of storage. It's so much nicer to code in it lol. Compared to my old 11 inch 2014 MBA lol. But yeah. I would go with it if you like to code outside of your docked environment. But if you mostly do it at home docked with monitor etc. I think 14inch could be the one for you
Thanks, haha I bet! I do like working on the sofa, etc. how is the 16" on your lap, do you find it too wide or heavy?

Reactions: white7561

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Thanks, haha I bet! I do like working on the sofa, etc. how is the 16" on your lap, do you find it too wide or heavy?

It's honestly not as bad as I thought it would. Especially since I'm used to using the 11inch MBA . For me it's quite fine actually. On the lap I don't feel it being too heavy or something so yeah especially since for day to day use it doesn't get hot (most of the time it doesn't even turn on the fans if you're just using burst loads) it's so comfortable using it.

For wideness yeah i feel the wideness but it's not that bad honestly compared to the pros of using it which is the so much bigger screen. So IMHO totally worth it :p

Beth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
It's honestly not as bad as I thought it would. Especially since I'm used to using the 11inch MBA . For me it's quite fine actually. On the lap I don't feel it being too heavy or something so yeah especially since for day to day use it doesn't get hot (most of the time it doesn't even turn on the fans if you're just using burst loads) it's so comfortable using it.

For wideness yeah i feel the wideness but it's not that bad honestly compared to the pros of using it which is the so much bigger screen. So IMHO totally worth it :p
Thanks for replying again! The 16" sounds great, I've decided to go with the 14" & a monitor because think the monitor will be handy and couldn't afford a good one with the 16" ?

Reactions: white7561

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Thanks for replying again! The 16" sounds great, I've decided to go with the 14" & a monitor because think the monitor will be handy and couldn't afford a good one with the 16" ?
Yep. I also got the 16" since i don't use a monitor usually. :p but yeah if you use a monitor it's prob better to get the 14" with a good monitor since it's more portable and cheaper too. And with that you could still get the same performance just with more noise etc

Reactions: Beth19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.