Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
I just got mine yesterday. Do not know about throttling but there are some heat issue as mine does run hot even when just connected to a LG Ultrawide monitor that just has some basic windows open on it in 3 columns. Will wait and test further these few days
That seems pretty unusual.

Mr Margaret Scratcher

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
+1 would be great to see some before and after with the 2.2 and 2.6

I'm also eagerly awaiting tests comparing all 3 following the patch. I've got the i9 (Or at least I will when my replacement for my faulty one arrives) but I'm wondering whether I'm better off swapping for the 2.6 or even 2.2 if they are pretty much all on par at full usage.

DaveMike11

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
Yeah - I actually have a Dell XPS 15 coming tomorrow (from Dell Outlet - so a 9560 7700HQ/16GB/512GB/4K for $1,149 and 16% cashback through ebates). Then going to decide which one to keep. I still want to keep the Mac, but I just don't know if I can justify over 2x the price for not much performance gain - basically just for OSX...

But yeah I know all about undervolting. I plan on doing that to the Dell XPS to see what type of results I get - maybe even repasting the Dell too. Then seeing which performs better for my use cases and deciding what to do. But now that you mention it, I might as well give it a go on the MBP too. If I remember and do this after work, I'll post what results I get.

How was your experience using the Dell XPS 15 ? Which one did you end up in keeping ? Let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.