Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klatox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
I am considering getting the 27" 5K iMac but not sure which GPU to get. I've been looking at the baseline model with the R9 M380 but not sure if this GPU is good enough for my uses.

My primary uses are Photos, very light iMovie video editing, iTunes, Safari with about 12 or so tabs, and (rarely) occasional gaming. (Nothing hardcore like Witcher 3 or FPS games, just random stuff like The Long Dark or Ark. I have no illusions about playing smoothly at native resolution and wouldn't mind dialing down the resolution if the frame rate is decent.)

Actually, since I rarely game, if we take that gaming piece out of the equation, is the R9 M380 sufficient for my uses? I don't want any stuttering in the UI or anything like that.

Also, how much RAM is recommended for light video editing in iMovie?

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I am considering getting the 27" 5K iMac but not sure which GPU to get. I've been looking at the baseline model with the R9 M380 but not sure if this GPU is good enough for my uses.

My primary uses are Photos, very light iMovie video editing, iTunes, Safari with about 12 or so tabs, and (rarely) occasional gaming. (Nothing hardcore like Witcher 3 or FPS games, just random stuff like The Long Dark or Ark. I have no illusions about playing smoothly at native resolution and wouldn't mind dialing down the resolution if the frame rate is decent.)

Actually, since I rarely game, if we take that gaming piece out of the equation, is the R9 M380 sufficient for my uses? I don't want any stuttering in the UI or anything like that.

As of today, BB is selling the m390 fusion model on sale for $1799 which is the apple price for the m380 non fusion base model. I would say go for that and add your own 2 x 8gb ram modules.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
What Nismo73 said sounds like the best alternative. Furthermore, for how long are you planning on keeping the iMac? And do you qualify for any student/work discount?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd like to offer a suggestion.

With ANY iMac, I believe the hard drive configuration you get will make more of an impact on performance and usability than will the video card.

You DO NOT WANT an iMac with only a platter-based internal drive.
It's going to "feel slow".

You DO WANT an iMac with at least a fusion drive.
1tb is acceptable, but I believe the 1tb iMacs have only a 24gb PCIe SSD installed.
If you get the 2tb fusion, you get a 120gb PCIe SSD and a 2tb HDD.

zacster

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Spend the extra now, you'll regret it later if you don't. And my advice is to go for the M395/3.3ghz model with the 2tb fusion drive. You'll get 128gb flash, an even faster processor and GPU, and knowledge that it costs a LOT more to get anything else.

I don't understand why Apple is underpowering the base model storage. It is such a hot machine otherwise.

klatox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
What Nismo73 said sounds like the best alternative. Furthermore, for how long are you planning on keeping the iMac? And do you qualify for any student/work discount?

Nope, I do not qualify for any discounts

klatox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Spend the extra now, you'll regret it later if you don't. And my advice is to go for the M395/3.3ghz model with the 2tb fusion drive. You'll get 128gb flash, an even faster processor and GPU, and knowledge that it costs a LOT more to get anything else.

I don't understand why Apple is underpowering the base model storage. It is such a hot machine otherwise.

I forgot to mention in my original post that yes, I am planning on getting the 512GB SSD. My storage needs are only about 256GB for my photos and music. Took me years to get there.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I got the 512GB SSD, and it's SO FAST. I'm sure the Fusion Drive would be pretty fast in most cases as well, but I love having no moving parts in the machine, other than the fan. I have a NAS with several TB of storage, so the Fusion Drive wasn't attractive to me.

I also had a 960GB SSD I took out of my old iMac and put it in a USB3 external enclosure, and it's also very fast. I also bought a 256GB SDXC memory card and I leave it connected to the back of the iMac as additional storage. It's pretty slow, but I use it as another "internal" drive, since it's never removed.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I forgot to mention in my original post that yes, I am planning on getting the 512GB SSD. My storage needs are only about 256GB for my photos and music. Took me years to get there.

base model imac with 512 GB flash is $2300
mid model imac with 512 GB flash is $2400
top level imac with 512 GB flash is $2500

OK. Not as insane as the education prices, where ordering 512 GB flash on the base model ends up costing money. But the m380 is really underpowered compared to the m390. A number of photo and video editing programs use the video card for processing.

Last edited:

klatox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015

I ended up just going with the i5, M395X, and 512GB SSD. Thanks for the replies!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats, and enjoy your new baby :) That's one mighty fine computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.