Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
How do I go about making a simple Cart/Checkout shopping system on a website? I'm helping a friend get her hobby business get started, and she asked me if I could make a simple site for her.

What's the best (and hopefully, simplest) way of implementing the cart and checkout system?

I apprieciate the help.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
If you have to ask the question, I definitely recommend not trying to write your own. A quick google search turns up some online commerce software that you could look into using.

The big thing is security, the last thing you want is for your customers' personal information to be stolen. If I were you, I'd recommend you research around for a good e-commerce solution. If you pay for software, rather than using some free solution, you will receive better service (and should expect it). From my experiences with other software (not e-commerce) good service and support is worth the extra upfront cost of the software.

Anywho, my 2 cents.

Hopefully some members have first-hand experience with some of this stuff.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
if you have to ask how to make a shopping cart system you shouldn't be doing because you don't have the basic skills to make it secure.

http://sourceforge.net and search for shopping cart

there will be a lot. i'd recommend you use osCommernce as well.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
A lot of hosting services include a shopping cart in the hosting package, such as MIVA Merchant or osCommerce. It is worth checking out if your hosting service uses one of these products, or find a hosting solution that does.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
How do I make sure its secure? This is my first time messing with e-Commerce stuff...I think I will use osCommerce.

making sites its one thing...starting an online business is another :p

Can anyone recommend any good really cheap hosting (free if possible, but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes: ) where osCommerce can run well and securely?

Again, I appreciate the help.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
well, i don't think you know how to make the acutally shopping cart. the shopping is the first step to figure out. after that make it secure.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
gamestriker said:
How do I make sure its secure? This is my first time messing with e-Commerce stuff...I think I will use osCommerce.

Making it secure means you need to have a SSL certificate. You can purchase them or if you find a decent hosting company they may have packages where they include one. The certificates are not cheap so it might benefit you to find a hosting company that offers them or at least an ecommerce package. Earthlink has a nice little ecommerce package where you can list up to 50 items and have a secure cart. PayPal also has a package that is a good deal. Other options include a Yahoo store, an Amazon affiliate store, or an eBay store. I do not use them, I just know of them.

Some things to consider:

1. Do you want to or are you equipped to handle credit card transactions?
2. Do you want to or are you equipped to handle inventory?
3. Are you selling downloads?
4. Can you provide the minimum service requirements of affiliate stores (see Amazon suggestion above)?
5. Will this be the only outlet (or do you have a brick and morter store)?

There are many more questions to answer before moving on.

I am presently trying to set up the osCommerce on my sight but am running into problems (I am not up to date when it comes to PHP or MySQL—I built our store from the ground up using html and we still get 4,000 hits daily).

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
I agree, don't take this on yourself. If you want something easy, cheap and quick to set up yourself you can consider going the PayPal route. One worry-free option is something like MadMerch, who handle EVERYTHING for you. From payment processing to inventory to shipping. You send them the goods and they do the rest, for a small fee of course. I recommend one of the above two methods for starting out, for one simple reason, MERCHANT ACCOUNT. If you want to accept credit cards in anyway on your own, whether it be through a Yahoo store or a custom solution, you will be required to become a licensed merchant. This can be a long and arduous process and many people/businesses will not even be approved. It costs money just to apply, along with an annual (sometimes monthly) fee, along with the fees you will still have to pay your processing service. For many small businesses the headache of trying to setup a merchant account just doesn't pay off. I recommend you consider a DIY solution (PayPal) or a full-service (MadMerch) solution, at least until your friend can see that her business is even going to make it. As a small business owner who has looked into all the options and gone through the steps, I advise making this as painless as possible for yourself.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Detlev said:
Making it secure means you need to have a SSL certificate. You can purchase them or if you find a decent hosting company they may have packages where they include one. The certificates are not cheap so it might benefit you to find a hosting company that offers them or at least an ecommerce package. Earthlink has a nice little ecommerce package where you can list up to 50 items and have a secure cart. PayPal also has a package that is a good deal. Other options include a Yahoo store, an Amazon affiliate store, or an eBay store. I do not use them, I just know of them.

Some things to consider:

1. Do you want to or are you equipped to handle credit card transactions?
2. Do you want to or are you equipped to handle inventory?
3. Are you selling downloads?
4. Can you provide the minimum service requirements of affiliate stores (see Amazon suggestion above)?
5. Will this be the only outlet (or do you have a brick and morter store)?

there also checking for things like sql injection holes or similar things in your code which why he should download someone else's.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Try CubeCart. Make sure to download the lastest version of 2 because 3 is really buggy.

It's great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.