Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Anyone have more of a basic smartphone or even a non smartphone and then use a tablet as there main usage device for media, entertainment etc? Just curious if anyone is doing this. I recently got the wife and I two Kindle Fire tablets as well as two Fire Tv + Prime. I figured it would be nicer to watch tv, movies, play games etc on a larger display. Now that I've done that and happy I'm downgrading my phone. Now I'm not going back to a flip phone but a Blackberry Classic. I mainly need my phone to call, text, GPS, email and casual browsing. I know its not a 5"+, octocore cpu phone but it will be more then adequate. Also looking forward to a phone that fits comfy in the pocket again.

. so am I crazy or do any of you have a similar setup? If so what is it?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Well I was debating between the iPhone 6S and Galaxy S7. I wound up picking up a Lumia 640 at Walmart for $30 and am glad I saved all that money. It has most of the banking apps that I need, Windows Phone 8.1 is nice. Has Waze, Pandora and decent games. Cortana is good. It's an At&T Go phone, which is also compatible with T-mobile I believe.

At the very least for hard core phone addicts (which I am not) it makes a great backup phone. I am a very clumsy person and would have to treat a high end phone like a baby, but not with a $30 phone and it's so durable.

It has a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available. I already tried Windows 10 on it and it became sluggish, Cortana didn't work right and settings didn't save so I downgraded back to Win OS 8.1, but there's not much difference anyway.

I currently don't have a tablet--still in limbo--maybe I'll get a Kindle Fire like yourself.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Well I was debating between the iPhone 6S and Galaxy S7. I wound up picking up a Lumia 640 at Walmart for $30 and am glad I saved all that money. It has most of the banking apps that I need, Windows Phone 8.1 is nice. Has Waze, Pandora and decent games. Cortana is good. It's an At&T Go phone, which is also compatible with T-mobile I believe.

At the very least for hard core phone addicts (which I am not) it makes a great backup phone. I am a very clumsy person and would have to treat a high end phone like a baby, but not with a $30 phone and it's so durable.

It has a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available. I already tried Windows 10 on it and it became sluggish, Cortana didn't work right and settings didn't save so I downgraded back to Win OS 8.1, but there's not much difference anyway.

I currently don't have a tablet--still in limbo--maybe I'll get a Kindle Fire like yourself.

Thanks for your reply. The Kindle Fire 7" is only $50 and it's pretty nice. Hard to go wrong for such a small investment. I too am using the Lumia 640. I'm an ATT Go customer ($40 month) and got the 640 for free with my Best Buy rewards until my Blackberry Classic arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.