Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
I have an image where I need to "select" all of one colour in that image.

If I use the magic wand I have to go and select all of the individual areas by hand as some are cut off by other parts of the image which are other colours and this would take an age as the image is quite complex.

Is there a simpler way of doing this? I have P/Shop Elements 2.0....

Thanks in advance... sorry for sounding totally novice
:rolleyes:

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Depending on the actual content of the photo, as to high contrast or subtle shades the process can be done in several ways. I recommend keeping the image in RGB while doing color correction of this sort. When first appraising the color to be selected you may want to look at each channel separately to see if the desired color may be more prominent in one channel or another, then the "wand" could select the color easier. A method I use sometimes is to draw a loose lasso selection around the area wanted then with the Option key held down de-select the areas I don't want with the wand. This works backwards from what you said about having to choose the desired pixels manually, and by switching back and forth from "Quick Mask" (the "Q" key) you can refine the mask rather quickly and cleanly.

And if you need further help (not to take from MacRumors Forum) here is another specific forum to help with Photoshop
http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/forum/

Bote

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
Sparky's said:
Depending on the actual content of the photo, as to high contrast or subtle shades the process can be done in several ways. I recommend keeping the image in RGB while doing color correction of this sort. When first appraising the color to be selected you may want to look at each channel separately to see if the desired color may be more prominent in one channel or another, then the "wand" could select the color easier. A method I use sometimes is to draw a loose lasso selection around the area wanted then with the Option key held down de-select the areas I don't want with the wand. This works backwards from what you said about having to choose the desired pixels manually, and by switching back and forth from "Quick Mask" (the "Q" key) you can refine the mask rather quickly and cleanly.

And if you need further help (not to take from MacRumors Forum) here is another specific forum to help with Photoshop

Awsome link! I have been trying for a few frustrating weeks to teach myself Adobe elements, I can't even image Photoshop CS. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sparky's said:

Didn't know Photoshop Elements had channel editing and QuickMask...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Use Magic Wand, uncheck the checkbox "Contiguous". That should do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.