Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I finally upgraded to Venture and wanted to try out Freeform. But I cannot figure out how to move around the board.

I tried holding down "space" and dragging like in Photoshop or holding down the middle mouse button like in Blender, but nothing seems to work. What am I missing?

(Btw, I guess one can probably use a Trackpad, but I don't have one.)

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I've been hitting keys at random, and found that you can move vertically by holding down the "fn" key combined with the up/down and the left/right arrow keys. Not sure where they differ, and also - I couldn't find a way to move horizontally. Sorry, not much help I fear...

What I did find however, additionally, is that the key combination "fn" / TAB selects every element on the canvas in turn - FWIW.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks! :)
It seems strange to me that an app like this doesn’t seem to have a way to navigate with a mouse…

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Have you tried just using the scroll wheel on your mouse? I can scroll vertically with the scroll wheel, and horizontally by holding down the shift key while I do it (as in other Mac apps).

Last edited:

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Have you tried just using the scroll wheel on your mouse? I can scroll vertically with the scroll wheel, and horizontally by holding down the shift key while I do it (as in other Mac apps).
I realize this might sound super entitled, but when you’re used to just grabbing the work area and quickly moving around in all directions as in Photoshop or pretty much any of the other programs I use all day, then using the scroll wheel is just way too slow and annoying.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I realize this might sound super entitled, but when you’re used to just grabbing the work area and quickly moving around in all directions as in Photoshop or pretty much any of the other programs I use all day, then using the scroll wheel is just way too slow and annoying.
OK, cool, but you were saying there's no way to navigate using a mouse, and there definitely is. Maybe you find it too "slow and annoying" but it's there and works.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
At the risk of being told to RTFM, what is the purpose of Freeform?

You could see Freeform as a digital whiteboard. Nice detail: it has an infinite canvas.
The purpose can be many: mind mapping, note taking, brainstorming, graphic recording aka sketch noting, drawing...

Reactions: JohnMaldaner
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.