Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
Hi all,

I've been renaming older files on my Mac (personal documents, pictures, videos) to the order of stripping filenames of parentheses, e.g., Paris (1) -> Paris 1.

An older computer of mine (likely Windows) would number files as such. Batch-renaming makes easy work of the task except for folders I'm at now with hundreds – and en masse thousands, of files to rename that also have, to say, flavour text, e.g., Paris (1) Café day, Paris (2) Lost et cetera.

I'd like here to thread the question of whether anyone knows of or can write me a script that would allow for integrity of filenames to remain but in the omission or stripping of parentheses, e.g., Paris (1) Café day, Paris (2) Lost -> Paris 1 Café day, Paris 2 Lost.

If I've been in any way unspecific, I do apologise. Thanks for reading.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Hi all,

I've been renaming older files on my Mac (personal documents, pictures, videos) to the order of stripping filenames of parentheses, e.g., Paris (1) -> Paris 1.

An older computer of mine (likely Windows) would number files as such. Batch-renaming makes easy work of the task except for folders I'm at now with hundreds – and en masse thousands, of files to rename that also have, to say, flavour text, e.g., Paris (1) Café day, Paris (2) Lost et cetera.

I'd like here to thread the question of whether anyone knows of or can write me a script that would allow for integrity of filenames to remain but in the omission or stripping of parentheses, e.g., Paris (1) Café day, Paris (2) Lost -> Paris 1 Café day, Paris 2 Lost.

If I've been in any way unspecific, I do apologise. Thanks for reading.
I use "A Better Finder Rename 9". it will do what you want by using the Category: Characters, with the Action: Replace specific characters, and put nothing in the "With" Space. It will let you do both Left and Right brackets at the same time. You can also use the built in Rename that came on your Mac but you will have to do one Bracket at a time.

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
I use "A Better Finder Rename 9". it will do what you want by using the Category: Characters, with the Action: Replace specific characters, and put nothing in the "With" Space. It will let you do both Left and Right brackets at the same time. You can also use the built in Rename that came on your Mac but you will have to do one Bracket at a time.
I'll check this out today. Thank you kindly, brother.

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
Sorry, quick question, P. Have you their (A Better Finder Rename) homepage or then a URL you used yourself to download from?

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2017
my two cents: there's a better finder substitute called PATHFINDER (cocoatech) that I highly recommend, it includes a mass / batch file rename function built directly into the finder. just saying!

Reactions: Vaakuna

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
You can use Automator to create a workflow to rename files from the Finder like so:

I use Automator for batch-resizing but what I explain in OP is more intricate a task. Does a workflow exist or can one be created to do what I need?

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
I'm hesitant to buy a tool proper for the job only because this is a one-and-done rename I'm carrying out. I'd otherwise have no reservations picking up something like ABFR or Path Finder that I could regularly utilise. Tricky spot. Going to be noting everything mentioned thus far; to add, everyone's attention is greatly appreciated.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I'm hesitant to buy a tool proper for the job only because this is a one-and-done rename I'm carrying out. I'd otherwise have no reservations picking up something like ABFR or Path Finder that I could regularly utilise. Tricky spot. Going to be noting everything mentioned thus far; to add, everyone's attention is greatly appreciated.
For Free you can use the Finders Rename, but you will have to run it twice. Select the files you want to rename and Right click and change to Replace Text and in the Find: add Right )or Left ( and in Replace with: Nothing, leave blank. Click Rename and then replace with the other Bracket and run again. The files will still be selected so it won't take much time to run again. Or you can use Automator to build a Work Flow. Your Automator might look a little Different than C/net's. You will start with Workflow and select files and folder, the drag 2 rename Finder Items on to the Workflow space, save it with a name like 2 step name change or what ever you want. Select the files you want to take brackets out and Right click and you will find what ever you name the workflow under QuickActions or Services. If you use Automator make it look like below and it will work, Just tried it in case I need to do a 2 step name changer out side of A Better Finder Rename.
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 2.19.59 PM.jpg

Reactions: qoop and Vaakuna

Vaakuna

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Nordic
For Free you can use the Finders Rename, but you will have to run it twice. Select the files you want to rename and Right click and change to Replace Text and in the Find: add Right )or Left ( and in Replace with: Nothing, leave blank. Click Rename and then replace with the other Bracket and run again. The files will still be selected so it won't take much time to run again. Or you can use Automator to build a Work Flow. Your Automator might look a little Different than C/net's. You will start with Workflow and select files and folder, the drag 2 rename Finder Items on to the Workflow space, save it with a name like 2 step name change or what ever you want. Select the files you want to take brackets out and Right click and you will find what ever you name the workflow under QuickActions or Services. If you use Automator make it look like below and it will work, Just tried it in case I need to do a 2 step name changer out side of A Better Finder Rename. View attachment 1744779
Thanks, P. This worked swimmingly. I noticed on a parent folder-level when parentheses were present in-title, it would then sometimes block the Automator action from drilling down into any more subfolders and files (after of course removing parentheses from title itself). I would in these cases pass the same parent folder through the workflow a few times, working my way down as it were – done and dusted. Your help was invaluable and I learned something here in the process. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.