Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Just wondering if anyone else was told this...

When I bought the iPad the Apple employee told me to run the battery down and then give it a full charge, anyone else get similar advice?

Its in its dock right now after being fully run down, which actually took effort!

ag55

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Just wondering if anyone else was told this...

When I bought the iPad the Apple employee told me to run the battery down and then give it a full charge, anyone else get similar advice?

Its in its dock right now after being fully run down, which actually took effort!

I heard similar advice for most items i buy. Do a full charge when you
first get it, and when using it never charge it fully to 100%, or let
it drop to 0%. Keep it in the 5-10% and 90-95% zones as its better for
the battery life.

Havent had any proof, but it requires no effort at all so i just have
done it for as long as i can remember.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
The advice if doing an initial charge to full is not a bad idea. However, the not letting it die or charging it to 100% stuff was mostly dealing with older battery technologies, ones that would develop memories in the cells. The new lithium ion & polymer batters it does not really apply.

My MacBook pro gets ran to 0 a few times a week and I always charge it to 100%. It is at 194 cycles and still at 100% health.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
How in the world would you ever be able to put in the time to ensure that something NEVER gets charged to 100%? I mean, that seems like an awful lot of work. Don't they make electronics now-a-days to where once they get to 100%, they quit taking charge anyway?

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502

Being “of a certain age” (which means I’ve been instructed to do this on about 362 computers over the years), I asked the Apple store manager the same question when picking mine up. She assured me that’s no longer necessary, and that batteries have come a long way over time.

Still...I don’t see what it could possibly hurt. Enjoy your new toy! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.