Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoFanNoFun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Hello MacRumors,

About two weeks ago my battery died suddenly. After this, my battery icon alternated between an X and 100% charge with a replace soon indicator. Computer died whenever not plugged in. I ordered a replacement from MacSales.com and upon replacement everything seemed to be great (old battery also had two blown cells so figured it must be the end of the story).

However, about 5 days into portable bliss my computer shut down suddenly again and upon start up the X icon reappeared. I contacted MacSales and they are sending another replacement BUT I also downloaded a fan indicator and discovered my fan was running at 0 rpm regardless of CPU usage. Is this just a dud battery I got or something more. Running hardware diagnostics I get error PPT001 only (no SMC error) and the fan works fine during hardware check or by manually turning it on using 3rd party software.

I have reset SMC and PRAM countless times to no avail. Also no visible damage was seen when I opened to replace battery (although I may not recognize it). Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

13" Early 2015 MacBook Pro OS 10.11.6

Last edited:

NoFanNoFun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Thanks for the replies! I was being a bit of an idiot though and assumed that my fan should be running at a baseline RPM at all times. Turns out it works just fine but was just running at 0 RPM as it seems many later macbook pros do.

However, the battery problem is a bit more complicated. The black X spontaneously vanished while working with laptop plugged in. Worked perfectly for about a week or so and then randomly, while unplugged, computer shut down and upon restart black x was back. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.