Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jobs4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
My iPhone 8, about 1-1/2 years old has issues : the battery cannot supply peak power
ans reboots if I receive a phonecall ( really, just a regular, GSM phonecall ),
even though the battery capacity is still 85 %. According to Li Ion battery specs, this should
only occur at capacity less than 30 to 35 %. Do I need to have the battery replaced, is
this the same issue as what happened to Samsung some time ago ?

Also, I have been using iPhone since model 4, never any problems, great product,
but this is a very unpleasant surprise. I was waiting for the new 12 but I'm not so sure
anymore.

I want to know if this is a one time fluke or if anyone else had this issue so I added
screenshots for comparison. Did anyone else have this issue ??

Jobs4all
iPhone8_crash_01.PNG
iPhone8_crash_02.png

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
It could have been doing something else at the time?

Do you have apple care? If so, replacement should be covered.

if you are waiting for the 12, see of it happens again with the throttling enabled. If the phone is still fast enough for what you do I wouldn’t worry.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The Maximum Capacity % (85) doesn't take into count the peak performance the battery is capable of when cold. The battery is tired.
Either use the phone when it's warm or replace the battery or buy a new phone. Batteries don't last forever- especially if left plugged in over night.

Reactions: JPack

jobs4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
Ah, no, the battery was warm when this happened. Li-Ion batteries should last at least 500 cycles, so I'd say it's disappointing that a 1-1/2 year old battery would be "tired" and the solution would be to buy a new $1000 phone( not very sustainable nor green I'd say ).
Especially considering that this is supposed to be a high end model from a high end brand, I'd expect it has proper battery management and would cut of charging when left plugged in overnight. Simple chips like the $1 ST micro electronics STNS01 series would do a better job that what I experienced for my model 8. I've used those in products that I make and sell and those Li Ion batteries lasts longer.
I'm really disappointed and I'm thinking that perhaps apple isn't a high end brand anymore but still prices based on the reputation built by Steve Jobs' strive for absolute quality and the cult around it.
But indeed, I'll let a 1-1/2 year $1000 phone run on low throttle and look around for a phone that has a better price-to-quality ratio when it starts to fail completely. Pity, though, I used to love the iPhone....

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Ah, no, the battery was warm when this happened. Li-Ion batteries should last at least 500 cycles, so I'd say it's disappointing that a 1-1/2 year old battery would be "tired" and the solution would be to buy a new $1000 phone( not very sustainable nor green I'd say ).
Especially considering that this is supposed to be a high end model from a high end brand, I'd expect it has proper battery management and would cut of charging when left plugged in overnight. Simple chips like the $1 ST micro electronics STNS01 series would do a better job that what I experienced for my model 8. I've used those in products that I make and sell and those Li Ion batteries lasts longer.
I'm really disappointed and I'm thinking that perhaps apple isn't a high end brand anymore but still prices based on the reputation built by Steve Jobs' strive for absolute quality and the cult around it.
But indeed, I'll let a 1-1/2 year $1000 phone run on low throttle and look around for a phone that has a better price-to-quality ratio when it starts to fail completely. Pity, though, I used to love the iPhone....

Why not just buy a new battery?

Reactions: now i see it

jobs4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
Why not just buy a new battery?

Wouldn't that void warranty ?
And if I'd do that, which would I buy and how to replace it ?
Got suggetions ?

Also, I'd do that as a patch but it's like buying a new, high end car like a Mercedes and when the engine fails accept the solution : why not buy a new engine, right ?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wouldn't that void warranty ?
And if I'd do that, which would I buy and how to replace it ?
Got suggetions ?

Also, I'd do that as a patch but it's like buying a new, high end car like a Mercedes and when the engine fails accept the solution : why not buy a new engine, right ?

Apple stores offer them for $79 or there are plenty of searchable iPhone shops that will do it for you for around the same price.
Unless you have AppleCare, hasn't your warranty coverage already expired?

No, replacing a degraded battery (all batteries degrade) is not the same thing as replacing an engine, it's like replacing a wonky gas tank.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Take it into Apple and ask them to replace the battery... not expensive in the grand scheme of things compared to “needing to buy a new phone” option.

It’s worn, 85% is an not exact so it could be far lower.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
No, replacing a degraded battery (all batteries degrade) is not the same thing as replacing an engine, it's like replacing a wonky gas tank.

Or, replacing the battery. ;)

Take it into Apple and ask them to replace the battery...

And run a diagnostic, as it could be something else not related to the battery. Eg. I have a day-one 8 with same max battery capacity value with zero issues and on a GSM network.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Also remember that every iPhone model (especially the 8) was manufactured in the tens of millions of units in China. That means tens of millions of batteries. The chances that every single battery out of those tens of millions is perfect- is zero. There's going to be some runts. It's statistically guaranteed. Maybe your battery wasn't a good one on day one.
That's my guess.
No matter how good a company's quality control is, when manufacturing anything in the millions, some substandard parts are going to slip through.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Batteries should be replaced every 12-18 months.

It only lasts 500 cycles - that's a cycle per day for 18 months.

The 85% is an estimate. Realistically, users should consider replacing once it drops below 90%. By 80%, the battery is extremely unreliable.

jobs4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
Ok, everybody, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I'll try the option of a diagnostic, seems there's something odd here, I get more hickups with apps crashing etc..
I'm not a heavy user and charge about twice a week, max. Could be a faulty battery but diagnostics seems a better option.
Signing off !

Jobs4all

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Batteries should be replaced every 12-18 months.

It only lasts 500 cycles - that's a cycle per day for 18 months.

The 85% is an estimate. Realistically, users should consider replacing once it drops below 90%. By 80%, the battery is extremely unreliable.
Apple should allow replacement at 90%. It's annoying when phones are exhibiting battery-related issues while Apple diagnostics still say it's A-OK.

Reactions: JPack

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
High and low temps have a large effect on the batteries cycle life.

If your battery was in normal ambient conditions its unlikely to be a fluke.

As the battery accumulates wear from use/abuse the internal resistance of the battery increases which restricts the flow of electricity. There is a predefined shut off voltage when the battery is low and voltage should indicate 0% on the battery gauge. When you put a heavy load on a battery the voltage drops if there is a high internal resistance the voltage can dip way down and in your case it dipped because the shut off voltage. Its like starting a car with a weak battery and the dome light dimming severely.

Typically the battery health is lower then that when you experience premature shut downs.

High voltage at high temperatures is what typically causes high internal resistance more quickly. Like leaving the phone in a car on a hot summer day, or even worse have it charging in a car on a hot summer day. Or suction cupping it to the windshield, plugging it in and using the GPS when its hot. This causes a specific film that I can't remember the name of to build up on the anode and cathode of the battery. This is why window mounted GPS's battery don't typically last more then 6 months before you can notice the massive decrease in battery life.

There is plenty of science with batteries but to many variables to really worry about it. 500 battery cycles is assuming you are charging to 4.2volt (100%). Few mV lower and 700-1000 cycles is possible. This is why EV's can warranty batteries for 8 years, they aren't over charging them.

I would just goto Apple and see what they can do for you. They might cut you a break if its shutting down and getting hot. I have a few friends that have had batteries swell up in Apple products and every time they were just given a new device. I think it was one of those "lets not mention this to anyone" deal especially considering 2 were Apple Watches.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The only time I've ever seen that message was when I was at a high altitude. I was using an 8+. My battery health was at 99%

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Apple should allow replacement at 90%. It's annoying when phones are exhibiting battery-related issues while Apple diagnostics still say it's A-OK.
They do "allow" replacements. If you ask for a new battery and pay for it out of pocket, they will do it. The difference is whether they are going to replace it at no charge during the warranty period. For that, they want evidence of "defect," and 90% within the first year of use is not defective, it's normal wear-and-tear. For a free replacement at 90%, they'd have to build the price of replacing nearly every battery into the original price of the phone.

Further, once people have an expectation that 90% is the "replace" point... well, environmentally it's not great. The environmental cost of replacing batteries after one year rather than two is pretty substantial.

I'm sympathetic to Apple agreeing to replace at 85% if it is accompanied by a history of peak performance shut-downs. The ability to charge to 85% of original capacity does not necessarily mean that it can also deliver adequate peak current - steady-state charge and "cold cranking power" (as they say of car batteries) are two different properties of a battery. Batteries do age, and those two characteristics do not necessarily age at the same rate - the way a battery is used helps determine how it ages.

Still, in the case of the OP, there has been one unexpected shutdown. The OP has a choice of leaving "throttling" engaged and getting more life from the battery, or replacing an aging battery in order to maintain peak performance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.