Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Could anyone advise me on this question.

Currently have a iPhone 8+ with a battery count of 84%. Purchased the phone in late 2017 I think. At 84% , will the phone still last for a long time yet and if so how long roughly.., based on the fact that it was purchased new in late 2017.

Just concerned with resale value as the battery count drops, so what would be the best time to sell the phone going forward roughly.?

Thanks from a long time follower of this site.

Reactions: mikedop

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If you mean total battery capacity at 84% then the battery is almost on its way out. It won’t last for too long and also depends on your specific usage. It’s better to get that battery replaced.

Generally below 80% the chemical compositions tend to falter and the battery loses charge faster, this also mean sometimes random shut downs etc.

If you’re looking to sell the. Definitely sell it ASAP.

Reactions: mikedop and ian87w

HKDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
If you mean total battery capacity at 84% then the battery is almost on its way out. It won’t last for too long and also depends on your specific usage. It’s better to get that battery replaced.

Generally below 80% the chemical compositions tend to falter and the battery loses charge faster, this also mean sometimes random shut downs etc.

If you’re looking to sell the. Definitely sell it ASAP.
Yes., it says on the phone that the battery health is maximum capacity 84% currently. Does this mean the battery is only functioning on 84% of its original strength.? Im a bit confused by it.?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes., it says on the phone that the battery health is maximum capacity 84% currently. Does this mean the battery is only functioning on 84% of its original strength.? Im a bit confused by it.?

Yes that’s what it means. However in terms of battery technology that’s in pretty bad state. Apple recommendation replacement at 80% anyway and if that happens before 2 years then they generally replace it for free.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Yes that’s what it means. However in terms of battery technology that’s in pretty bad state. Apple recommendation replacement at 80% anyway and if that happens before 2 years then they generally replace it for free.
Thankyou so much for the advice. Looks like maybe buy the iPhone Se 2 as affordable at this point.!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thankyou so much for the advice. Looks like maybe buy the iPhone Se 2 as affordable at this point.!

To be honest since you’re looking to get the SE, if the existing device satisfies your requirements then just getting the battery replaced would be a cheaper option for you and the device will continue to work as normal for a few years again.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
To be honest since you’re looking to get the SE, if the existing device satisfies your requirements then just getting the battery replaced would be a cheaper option for you and the device will continue to work as normal for a few years again.
Ok...I will look into the cost at the Apple Store and compare my options. Do you believe the 8+ would still be ok for another 1 to 2 yrs of use .? Update: it will cost AUD$79 for a replacement battery ( USD$55 ) ...decisions.!!!

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ok...I will look into the cost at the Apple Store and compare my options. Do you believe the 8+ would still be ok for another 1 to 2 yrs of use .? Update: it will cost AUD$79 for a replacement battery ( USD$55 ) ...decisions.!!!

8+ will be absolutely fine for the next couple of years including getting the latest iOS update. I used to have one. It’s a solid device. No complaints.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have an iPhone SE 2... so just let me tell you from my standpoint. If you replace the battery on the 8 Plus you will be just fine until the SE Plus comes or something else. The 8 Plus is in some ways superior to the SE. such as screen size, ppi, resolution, it also has portrait mode and 2 cameras.

This isn’t to say the SE is a bad device because it’s not. However tojustify the SE over an 8 Plus with a new battery is very hard to do. Personally I get a lot of phones so I have a 7 Plus, 8, X, XR, XS Max and the new SE. it’s just hard for me to recommend spending $400 or more depending where you are compared to getting a new battery on a 8 Plus for $55.

If it were the 7 Plus it would be a different story, but we’re talking 8 Plus that will be supported 2-3 years and has an A11 chip that still out performs a lot of Android chips on the market today.

In short keep the 8+ and get a new battery...coming from a launch daySE 2 user.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
In regards to selling your phone before the battery health drops too far, I don’t think most consumers realize that a lithium ion is at the end of its life at 80% capacity. If you post your phone for sale at 84%, most people see that as a phone that’s in great shape.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I have an iPhone SE 2... so just let me tell you from my standpoint. If you replace the battery on the 8 Plus you will be just fine until the SE Plus comes or something else. The 8 Plus is in some ways superior to the SE. such as screen size, ppi, resolution, it also has portrait mode and 2 cameras.

This isn’t to say the SE is a bad device because it’s not. However tojustify the SE over an 8 Plus with a new battery is very hard to do. Personally I get a lot of phones so I have a 7 Plus, 8, X, XR, XS Max and the new SE. it’s just hard for me to recommend spending $400 or more depending where you are compared to getting a new battery on a 8 Plus for $55.

If it were the 7 Plus it would be a different story, but we’re talking 8 Plus that will be supported 2-3 years and has an A11 chip that still out performs a lot of Android chips on the market today.

In short keep the 8+ and get a new battery...coming from a launch daySE 2 user.
Appreciate you reply..thanks
[automerge]1592124447[/automerge]
In regards to selling your phone before the battery health drops too far, I don’t think most consumers realize that a lithium ion is at the end of its life at 80% capacity. If you post your phone for sale at 84%, most people see that as a phone that’s in great shape.
I agree as I was none the wiser until you guys helped me understand it..I appreciate all the help. Thanks
[automerge]1592124576[/automerge]
My vote would be a new battery to see your through until SE Plus, unless you want to go smaller?
Appreciate your response ....looks like the decision is made.
[automerge]1592124613[/automerge]
The battery is replaceable and a lot cheaper than a new phone
Seems to be the census on the replies. I appreciate your reply also.
[automerge]1592124681[/automerge]
8+ will be absolutely fine for the next couple of years including getting the latest iOS update. I used to have one. It’s a solid device. No complaints.
Appreciate your help as with all the others who replied. Now I am a lot clearer in my decision .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.