Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Does leaving the phone plugged into the wall really reduce battery cycle counts? Because, from what I'm reading, it looks like the phone will go from 90% to 100% (while displaying 100%) and do a whole bunch of 90-100% cycles (10% of a full charge cycle) if it's plugged in. There are, however, lots of posts saying that leaving your phone plugged in will reduce charge cycles. Does it?

So in a way, plugging in doesn't reduce charge cycles at all, just keeps the battery at 90%+. Because it doesn't run off of the power source, it just does 90%-100% on battery and charges over and over, right?

The only real way to reduce cycle count would be to like turn on Airplane mode, not use anything battery intensive, or ... just turn off your phone, lol.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Personally, I think folks worry too much about the battery cycle count. When it wears out, let Apple replace it for $79 or do it yourself for less. Most of us will probably trade up our phones before the battery is worn out anyway. ;)

Agreed, I am letting myself get caught up in something that is taking away from the enjoyment of my device (serious). I'm on the Apple Upgrade program so, definitely the case for me @ "Most of us will probably trade up our phones before the battery is worn out anyway."

Thanks @chscag :D

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Does leaving the phone plugged into the wall really reduce battery cycle counts? Because, from what I'm reading, it looks like the phone will go from 90% to 100% (while displaying 100%) and do a whole bunch of 90-100% cycles (10% of a full charge cycle) if it's plugged in. There are, however, lots of posts saying that leaving your phone plugged in will reduce charge cycles. Does it?

So in a way, plugging in doesn't reduce charge cycles at all, just keeps the battery at 90%+. Because it doesn't run off of the power source, it just does 90%-100% on battery and charges over and over, right?

The only real way to reduce cycle count would be to like turn on Airplane mode, not use anything battery intensive, or ... just turn off your phone, lol.
Battery cycles are counted very well in iOS. If you drain the battery down to 75%, charge it is not considered one cycle until you use another 25% of the battery to equate to a full 100% cycle. Keeping the phone plugged in will not keep the cycle count any higher.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.