Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I’m interested in discussion on the iPhone’s battery degrading and how it affects performance.

As it stands now, my iPhone 7+ battery is at 75% Maximum Capacity. I’d like to learn a little more as to what exactly this means, and how it might be affecting my device’s performance. I’ve noticed slowed animations and general freezing over the past month or two, but I’m not exactly sure if it’s at fault of the battery. If anyone has some information to share, I would greatly appreciate it!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If a new battery has a capacity of 3000mAh (100%) it will have a capacity of approximately 2250mAh when it drops down to 75%. Basically the battery just becomes a smaller battery.
A 4000mAh battery at 50% capacity sort of equals a 2000mAh battery at 100% capacity.

But not quite—

When the battery ages, it can't discharge at as high of a current as it could when it was new - especially when cold. So a 75% capacity battery actually might be kinda unusable in cold weather but should be fine in warm weather but just not power the device as long as it did when it was new

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
As @now i see it mentioned, it's about the internal resistance of the battery, in addition to the reduced capacity. An aged battery has a higher internal resistance and cannot deliver high levels of current. The iPhone responds to this by throttling everything down.

In cold weather, internal resistance and capacity are further reduced. That's why you can expect to see unexpected shutdowns and even less capacity (fast draining) under those conditions.

Reactions: tranceking26

mikedop

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
As @now i see it mentioned, it's about the internal resistance of the battery, in addition to the reduced capacity. An aged battery has a higher internal resistance and cannot deliver high levels of current. The iPhone responds to this by throttling everything down.

In cold weather, internal resistance and capacity are further reduced. That's why you can expect to see unexpected shutdowns and even less capacity (fast draining) under those conditions.
Pretty interesting. What’s weird is that my phone says it’s still working at peak performance, and I’ve never experienced a random shutdown.
AEDB7595-3E29-47AB-A194-FC85353FF450.jpeg

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Pretty interesting. What’s weird is that my phone says it’s still working at peak performance, and I’ve never experienced a random shutdown.

That is pretty interesting. Typically, Performance Management is enabled when the capacity drops to around 80%. If the Battery health is correct, then your performance issues are unrelated to the battery.

Reactions: mikedop

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
The shift from peak to degraded performance is not dependent on the battery % the software might have a monitoring system for unexpected shutdowns before it switches over to degraded performance Label and management.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes-
The battery health app will show Peak Performance (un throttled) until there's an unexpected shutdown. Crashes almost always happen in the winter when the phone and battery is cold.
If there's just one crash due to low power, iOS will throttle the phone from then on until you reset that setting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.