Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy002

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2022
I've posted in a couple of the "fast battery drain" threads here, which became a problem about two months ago with my year-old phone with 98% battery life. Some days it drops like a rock with little to no usage.

So far, no real solution, but somebody did suggest doing a cold boot. I tried this maybe two weeks ago and it seemed to be a big improvement, although some days were still bad and still are -- like today. I redid the boot a couple of days ago.

And around the same time (two months ago?) I also notice a 1-2 second delay when tapping something that never happened before. Everything used to be instant, except for the barely-noticeable delay when looking at something online, which is to be expected.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern but it's getting worse. Tapping to look at something online or to look at an existing image or file doesn't seem to matter.

Last night when tapping to get into my messages there was probably a 5-second delay before the window came up; that has been the longest of any so far. Right now it is working great. Anybody else have this problem?

FWIW, my phone has 64 GB capacity with 25 GB being used.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've posted in a couple of the "fast battery drain" threads here, which became a problem about two months ago with my year-old phone with 98% battery life. Some days it drops like a rock with little to no usage.

So far, no real solution, but somebody did suggest doing a cold boot. I tried this maybe two weeks ago and it seemed to be a big improvement, although some days were still bad and still are -- like today. I redid the boot a couple of days ago.

And around the same time (two months ago?) I also notice a 1-2 second delay when tapping something that never happened before. Everything used to be instant, except for the barely-noticeable delay when looking at something online, which is to be expected.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern but it's getting worse. Tapping to look at something online or to look at an existing image or file doesn't seem to matter.

Last night when tapping to get into my messages there was probably a 5-second delay before the window came up; that has been the longest of any so far. Right now it is working great. Anybody else have this problem?

I would try a full restore using iTunes/Finder and setup as a new device without using your backup to see if it solves the issues you're experiencing.. If it does, I would restore again except this time using your backup to see if the problem reappears.. If it makes no difference you'll be right back where you started from..

Andy002

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2022
I have no idea what that is, so I looked it up. If I'm getting this right, this is a way to transfer one's personal data to a computer -- specifically an Apple device? My laptop is a Windows.

Andy002

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2022
Since the last update two days ago, 16.6, my phone battery is back to normal. Since taking it off the charger this morning, it is now 11:21 PM and the battery is at 79%; I used the phone today about like I normally do.

That's all well and good, but can't they even manage to admit it, or better yet tell us upfront that they recognize the problem and a patch is being worked on?

Andy002

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2022
Still working like the old days! It's 10 PM and the battery is still at 85%. I unplugged it around 9:30 this morning.

The tapping delay has also disappeared. Apparently, unless proven otherwise, these problems were all caused by the update a couple of months ago. There was another update 3-4 weeks ago which did not help. But 16.6 last week fixed it, the improvement was noticeable the same day.

It would be nice if Apple would at least admit to screwing up.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023

Oh it’s time to upgrade to the 15 series in a few weeks it’s time

Andy002

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2022
Oh it’s time to upgrade to the 15 series in a few weeks it’s time
Yeah right. I was ready to smash this thing and go back to an Android. As long as the battery (and other things) act normally, I will keep it for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Clamjuice65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.