Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RocketFast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Bora Bora
Hi all!

I noticed something strange about my batterylife. The percentage seems to drop very quickly. Now iam up to 5h SOT with 17% left.

The day before i managed to get 6h+ screen on time with 25% left. A few days ago i got almost 7h SOT.

Thats why i write here because i have no clue on why it suddenly goes down so
quickly. I have pretty much the same usage pattern every day.

Thank you!

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Have you added any apps. Social media can murder your battery.
In what way? If the social media app is using background refresh? You don't shut it down from the background after using? How exactly? I want to know in case it is something I need to check. Facebook for instance.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In what way? If the social media app is using background refresh? You don't shut it down from the background after using? How exactly? I want to know in case it is something I need to check. Facebook for instance.

I do not use Facebook, quit a few years ago and glad I did.

If you install a social media app like Facebook and do not set controls on it's ability to update itself it will suck the life out of you battery. if you have a couple social media apps doing the same, you will notice.

Social media can be a huge battery hog!

You battery program will tell you what is using the most power.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apps can run in the background even without the background app refresh option (as that is just one aspect of being able to run in the background). At times some apps have been known to abuse that ability and run more often or longer than they normally could/should, at other times there might have been some issue that would get them stuck in one way or another running in the background trying to do something.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Apps can run in the background even without the background app refresh option (as that is just one aspect of being able to run in the background). At times some apps have been known to abuse that ability and run more often or longer than they normally could/should, at other times there might have been some issue that would get them stuck in one way or another running in the background trying to do something.
Wouldn't swiping up and stopping the app as well as having background refresh off stop this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wouldn't swiping up and stopping the app as well as having background refresh off stop this?
Generally that would be the case. You'd just have to make sure you actually close those type of apps if you are noticing something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.