Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hira.glam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Hi
So basically my battery of my iPhone 6s (which is under a year old (applecare+ expires next month)) has gone from very good performance to absolute rubbish almost unusable performance in over a span of a day (or even a few hours maybe, I dunno. It Could have started a few hours before I noticed, but I'll just say approx a day instead).

Here's how it started:
My phone battery was working absolutely fine and didn't show any problems after I installed any iOS updates in the past few months of use/ever since the purchase. You know, the usual... I installed the updates as they became available (or after a few days when my phone pestered me to do so).

So around mid august/ or end of august (I'm not sure what specific date it was) my phone told me to install the new iOS 9.3.5 update. I checked if my phone had adequate charging, it did, so I went ahead and installed. This was done about an hour or so before bed.
After it was installed and it restarted, I continued using my phone as I usually would for a little while and then went to sleep.
During the next day my phone was draining faster than it normally did but I took no notice and just blamed it on myself that I'm using it too much (even tho usage was just normal like any other day).
When I then charged my phone later I noticed that it was taking AAAAAGES to charge. Like took 6 hours to go from approx 15% to 100% and the phone was SUPER HOT to the touch. It then drained from 100% to zero in approx 1.5-2 hours normal use, and in approx 4-5 hours on standby.
This happened for about a few days until I couldn't take it no more and googled a bad battery issue. The apple site told me some troubleshooting like doing that 10 second home button + power button restart thing, shutting background apps refresh , shutting location, dimming screen brightness, and using low power mode. (Most of these I already knew and did when I needed that extra juice in the past). In this instance these didn't help in the slightest.

So I phoned apple care who did diagnostics on the battery and said it had 93% capacity remaining and was super healthy. And we're baffled (as was I) as to why I had these issues and said if it wasn't hardware it must be software issue. So they advised me to restore the phone via iTunes and reinstall all software etc. I did that and still didn't help in the slightest.

I waited it out until the iOS 10 update hoping that an update solves the issue, as it (most certainly) was an update that caused the issue in the first place). iOS 10 didn't help either.
I was super frustrated. Yesterday I installed iOS 10.0.2 (most up to date software) hoping (but expecting to be disappointed) it will solve the issue. It hasn't.

So I rung apple care again and they said bring it into an apple approved repair place to get looked at.

Now what I'm afraid of is:
a) they will do the same diagnostics on the battery that were done before and say the battery is healthy and tell my bye bye off you go.
b) they will say ok we will replace your battery but will charge you £79 because it's capacity is not under 80% (on apple website it says it has to be under 80% to get it replaced for free under applecare+) even tho I have apple care+ . And I can no way in hell afford £79, after spending most of my savings on an iPhone 6s, which I expected to have for at least 2 years.
c): they will say that if 1) there is no need to repair battery OR 2) I can't pay for the battery if it can be repaired, then we can't do anything. Just bear with an almost unusable phone. Bye.

I dunno what to do. Is there anything I can do to convince them at the Apple Store that my phone has a problem where it CHARGES VERY SLOW (+ heats up immensely when charged for a few hours yet needs about 7 hours to charge fully) and DRAINS VERY FAST.
I just don't want to drive all the way to the store (nearest one to me is 1-2 hours away) and come back empty handed and issue unresolved.
I was thinking maybe I could take screenshots every hour or so showing the charging capacity when it charges, and the capacity when it drains. Proving that it charges slow and drains fast. Does that sound good? I dunno.

Pls advise. This is my first ever iPhone (was on android for a few years and decided to switch) and I was very happy with it until about a month or so ago. Also I'm not very confident to speak in public and don't want to cause a huge discussion or a big issue trying to persuade the Apple Store people that my phone indeed has a problem.

OR MAYBE IM JUST OVER REACTING AND THE PEOPLE AT APPLE STORE IN LEEDS WILL UNDERSTAND ME AND MY BATTERY WILL BE REPLACED/ OR MY PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED EASILY??!

I dunno. Any advice will be great.

Thanks

P.s. I have added 2 screenshots. Showing how in 1 hour of using my phone (from 10:45 to 11:41 & whilst on this forum site only) the charging has gone down almost 30% whilst on low power mode. Also shows how whilst charging,low power mode got turned off at 80% which was 41 mins ago. The charging had only gone up 1% to 81% in 41 minutes.
Just to give you all an idea of charging and draining....All this has driven me nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.PNG
    IMG_2579.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2580.PNG
    IMG_2580.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Two things: are you using an Apple branded charger (preferably the one that came with the phone) and when you look in the Battery menu in Settings are there any apps using a huge percentage of battery?

Hira.glam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
OMG I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!
Basically all it required was a full restore of the phone via iTunes ...which yes, I did before but the problem still persisted. So now I did it differently.

It's just the first time I had saved a backup prior to restoring, and so started/restored my phone from a backup. But this time ...wait for it...I DIDNT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP and instead just started the phone as a new phone.

And bam! Problem solved! Guess the problem was a corrupt file or something in my phones backup data.
Yes, I know I have lost a few pics and stuff and need to re add my contacts etc, but tbh I freakin don't mind! And I don't have to have the whole hassle of taking my phone to get fixed or dealing with convincing a repair person that my phone has a problem.

At least now I have a phone that's usable for more than an hour!!

So yeah...anyone else who has a similar issue, try this first before taking things further.
[doublepost=1475101791][/doublepost]
Two things: are you using an Apple branded charger (preferably the one that came with the phone) and when you look in the Battery menu in Settings are there any apps using a huge percentage of battery?
Yes Im using an actual genuine apple charger, but it's okay now as I figured out a fix for my problem. So all solved!! Thanks anyway :)

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
i'm having the same problem and i restored from a backup and now its worse.

seriously, starting over without a restore is not an option. between health and activity data and messaging logs its not feasible to just start over.

i made an apple appt but i don't have high hopes.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Basically all it required was a full restore of the phone via iTunes ...which yes, I did before but the problem still persisted. So now I did it differently.

It's just the first time I had saved a backup prior to restoring, and so started/restored my phone from a backup. But this time ...wait for it...I DIDNT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP and instead just started the phone as a new phone.

And bam! Problem solved! Guess the problem was a corrupt file or something in my phones backup data.
Yes, I know I have lost a few pics and stuff and need to re add my contacts etc, but tbh I freakin don't mind! And I don't have to have the whole hassle of taking my phone to get fixed or dealing with convincing a repair person that my phone has a problem.

So yeah...anyone else who has a similar issue, try this first before taking things further.
Yes Im using an actual genuine apple charger, but it's okay now as I figured out a fix for my problem. So all solved!! Thanks anyway :)

Good to hear! That was going to be my next question. I'm glad you got it fixed! :)

Hira.glam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Hi
So basically my battery of my iPhone 6s (which is under a year old (applecare+ expires next month)) has gone from very good performance to absolute rubbish almost unusable performance in over a span of a day (or even a few hours maybe, I dunno. It Could have started a few hours before I noticed, but I'll just say approx a day instead).

Here's how it started:
My phone battery was working absolutely fine and didn't show any problems after I installed any iOS updates in the past few months of use/ever since the purchase. You know, the usual... I installed the updates as they became available (or after a few days when my phone pestered me to do so).

So around mid august/ or end of august (I'm not sure what specific date it was) my phone told me to install the new iOS 9.3.5 update. I checked if my phone had adequate charging, it did, so I went ahead and installed. This was done about an hour or so before bed.
After it was installed and it restarted, I continued using my phone as I usually would for a little while and then went to sleep.
During the next day my phone was draining faster than it normally did but I took no notice and just blamed it on myself that I'm using it too much (even tho usage was just normal like any other day).
When I then charged my phone later I noticed that it was taking AAAAAGES to charge. Like took 6 hours to go from approx 15% to 100% and the phone was SUPER HOT to the touch. It then drained from 100% to zero in approx 1.5-2 hours normal use, and in approx 4-5 hours on standby.
This happened for about a few days until I couldn't take it no more and googled a bad battery issue. The apple site told me some troubleshooting like doing that 10 second home button + power button restart thing, shutting background apps refresh , shutting location, dimming screen brightness, and using low power mode. (Most of these I already knew and did when I needed that extra juice in the past). In this instance these didn't help in the slightest.

So I phoned apple care who did diagnostics on the battery and said it had 93% capacity remaining and was super healthy. And we're baffled (as was I) as to why I had these issues and said if it wasn't hardware it must be software issue. So they advised me to restore the phone via iTunes and reinstall all software etc. I did that and still didn't help in the slightest.

I waited it out until the iOS 10 update hoping that an update solves the issue, as it (most certainly) was an update that caused the issue in the first place). iOS 10 didn't help either.
I was super frustrated. Yesterday I installed iOS 10.0.2 (most up to date software) hoping (but expecting to be disappointed) it will solve the issue. It hasn't.

So I rung apple care again and they said bring it into an apple approved repair place to get looked at.

Now what I'm afraid of is:
a) they will do the same diagnostics on the battery that were done before and say the battery is healthy and tell my bye bye off you go.
b) they will say ok we will replace your battery but will charge you £79 because it's capacity is not under 80% (on apple website it says it has to be under 80% to get it replaced for free under applecare+) even tho I have apple care+ . And I can no way in hell afford £79, after spending most of my savings on an iPhone 6s, which I expected to have for at least 2 years.
c): they will say that if 1) there is no need to repair battery OR 2) I can't pay for the battery if it can be repaired, then we can't do anything. Just bear with an almost unusable phone. Bye.

I dunno what to do. Is there anything I can do to convince them at the Apple Store that my phone has a problem where it CHARGES VERY SLOW (+ heats up immensely when charged for a few hours yet needs about 7 hours to charge fully) and DRAINS VERY FAST.
I just don't want to drive all the way to the store (nearest one to me is 1-2 hours away) and come back empty handed and issue unresolved.
I was thinking maybe I could take screenshots every hour or so showing the charging capacity when it charges, and the capacity when it drains. Proving that it charges slow and drains fast. Does that sound good? I dunno.

Pls advise. This is my first ever iPhone (was on android for a few years and decided to switch) and I was very happy with it until about a month or so ago. Also I'm not very confident to speak in public and don't want to cause a huge discussion or a big issue trying to persuade the Apple Store people that my phone indeed has a problem.

OR MAYBE IM JUST OVER REACTING AND THE PEOPLE AT APPLE STORE IN LEEDS WILL UNDERSTAND ME AND MY BATTERY WILL BE REPLACED/ OR MY PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED EASILY??!

I dunno. Any advice will be great.

Thanks

P.s. I have added 2 screenshots. Showing how in 1 hour of using my phone (from 10:45 to 11:41 & whilst on this forum site only) the charging has gone down almost 30% whilst on low power mode. Also shows how whilst charging,low power mode got turned off at 80% which was 41 mins ago. The charging had only gone up 1% to 81% in 41 minutes.
Just to give you all an idea of charging and draining....All this has driven me nuts.
Sad news.... I guess I spoke/posted too soon.... :(
The problem was rectified only for a few hours. Now the problem is back. Same issue with the battery performance. Charges too slowly and drains too fast.
So the restore was pointless.

Spoke to apple care again today and they said I should just book and appointment and take it to an apple store. Its kinda far but I guess it's the last resort. I'm still under warranty so I guess it should be fine. But I'm still kinda nervous to go into the store to be honest (first time ever going into one)But we'll see when we get there I guess. I've heard the support staff or the genius (whatever they called) are really helpful and you most likely leave the store satisfied, so hope it goes okay.

So yeah all in all, an iTunes restore without a backup also didn't help.

Fingers crossed all goes well in the store.
[doublepost=1475171860][/doublepost]

seriously, starting over without a restore is not an option. between health and activity data and messaging logs its not feasible to just start over.

Yeah I started over without a restore, phone was okay for a few hours but then problem was back :(
What phone do you have? Also did the problem happen after you updated the latest software?

I guess I'm just gonna have to go the a store now...ugh, and same... not hoping for much either.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
There's a good possibility that it's a hardware issue then. Apple has some of the best support, so you shouldn't run into any issues. :)

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
I literally have to charge my iPhone 6S three times a day now, it's ridiculous and I've restored as new phone, restrained from installing apps that were registering high usage e.g. Facebook etc.

The phones useless now I can't depend on it and it's probably killing the battery life / cycles. I took to a 'genius' and they ran a test which showed a graph that said my battery was healthy, he just said it might be a software issue and they are working on it..... wtf?!

I'm waiting for my 7 Plus, having held it in store / friends I just do not like the size but want the battery life.... iPhones have really gone down hill recently.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I literally have to charge my iPhone 6S three times a day now, it's ridiculous and I've restored as new phone, restrained from installing apps that were registering high usage e.g. Facebook etc.

The phones useless now I can't depend on it and it's probably killing the battery life / cycles. I took to a 'genius' and they ran a test which showed a graph that said my battery was healthy, he just said it might be a software issue and they are working on it..... wtf?!

I'm waiting for my 7 Plus, having held it in store / friends I just do not like the size but want the battery life.... iPhones have really gone down hill recently.
Have you tried resetting all settings or reinstalling (perhaps as new without using a backup even)?

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007

How is this a good thing when have to lose data. Pictures text message and so on.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I have the same problem with my 6s. It was great in iOS 9 and has become horrible in iOS 10. I did a backup restore which really didn't help. I do believe that resetting the phone and not restoring it will probably fix the issue, but that is just to much work/time to set it back up.

Hard to find solutions online because everywhere everyone writes the same thing: check background refresh, check GPS usage, check which apps are using the most battery, etc... which doesn't make sense since iOS 9 to iOS 10 shouldn't affect those things.

Raise to Wake could seem like a culprit, but if the battery usage is correct then it's 3% should not be a factor. And my battery usage time always seems to be half the standby time no matter how little I use my phone.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I have the same problem with my 6s. It was great in iOS 9 and has become horrible in iOS 10. I did a backup restore which really didn't help. I do believe that resetting the phone and not restoring it will probably fix the issue, but that is just to much work/time to set it back up.

Hard to find solutions online because everywhere everyone writes the same thing: check background refresh, check GPS usage, check which apps are using the most battery, etc... which doesn't make sense since iOS 9 to iOS 10 shouldn't affect those things.

Raise to Wake could seem like a culprit, but if the battery usage is correct then it's 3% should not be a factor. And my battery usage time always seems to be half the standby time no matter how little I use my phone.

What if you reset all settings then back it up to the computer or iCloud? Then restore it as new and grab the backup? Is that the cleanest we can get it back?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

Sadly a fresh restore might be your only options because your backup may pull the glitch over. But most of your heath and activity should be able to pull over depended on what app you are using. In most cases all you have to do is log back into your accounts through the apps.

Hira.glam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
So guys, I went to the store about 2-3 weeks ago and stupidly I erased my phone before going because I thought they would replace it/repair it there and then and would need it without any of my data.
When I got there they ran some tests and said the battery was fine. I insisted there was a drainage problem but they simply refused me saying they had nothing to go by as all my data in the phone was erased (they needed data in the battery section of settings to see usage). I was so disappointed as I got an appointment so difficult after checking constantly for any empty reservation places. Anyway I went back like a week later and when they saw my usage after battery being 100% charged. it showed that usage time was 55mins in which the charging had gone down to 13%. BAM! Proof that I had a problem.

So after noting that down the genius I spoke to was really nice and said I would get a repair (free because of warranty yesss!)
So I went in a few days later and picked up a new phone.

However like a week after, I updated the iOS 9 software that was on the phone to iOS 10 (I was prompted too much it was annoying) I dreaded that same problem would happen. It did. After the update the battery drained too fast. I was so p*ssed off its unexplainable. Esp seeing as my warranty expired on the previous day.
BUT within like 2 days the battery has gone back to normal again. And now works fine!

Anyway im just saying that the only reason I got a replacement was probably because the battery section in settings proved my phone was somehow damaged. If it wasn't for that I probably would be stuck with a drainy phone battery still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.