Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnykanzen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
I got the SE on release day (around April 2020).

Over the last 4/5 months I noticed battery draining quicker. I recall checking battery health in Feb 2022 and it was 81%. I reported to Apple and they said they can only swap it under Apple Care below 80%. We are now at the end of May and it is still at 81% despite me charging it multiple times a day ( as i cant get through a whole day). I also noticed the iOS is much slower at times now and often crashes. Still seems to indicate peak performance on the battery health page.

My Apple care runs out in 3 weeks. I just find it curious that the battery health dropped by 1% per month on average until Feb 2022 and has remained static since. hmmm.?

Any advice?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
If you are having issues with performance then it's possible that you can take the phone to an Apple Store and they will replace the battery even if it is just 1% over their requirement. You could also try letting the battery fully (or near fully) discharge each time before recharging it, which may draw down the % faster than keeping it at higher charge levels throughout the day, if that is possible for your particular usage.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Can you try the Apple Support app? Select your device on the app then Battery Life and run the Battery Performance. I’ve wanted to see if this really re-check the battery or just pull the Maximum Capacity from Battery Heath.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
If you are having issues with performance then it's possible that you can take the phone to an Apple Store and they will replace the battery even if it is just 1% over their requirement. It may depend on how flexible the tech is when you talk to them. I don't think they will always be rigid in requiring it to be 79% or less, in my experience they do have some flexibility if you are pleasant in talking to them and you get a reasonably accommodating tech.

You could also try letting the battery fully (or near fully) discharge each time before recharging it for the next few days, which is harder on the battery than normal usage and may draw down the % faster than keeping it at higher charge levels throughout the day, if that is possible for your particular usage.

(sorry, did not mean to repeat my earlier post)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I got the SE on release day (around April 2020).

Over the last 4/5 months I noticed battery draining quicker. I recall checking battery health in Feb 2022 and it was 81%. I reported to Apple and they said they can only swap it under Apple Care below 80%. We are now at the end of May and it is still at 81% despite me charging it multiple times a day ( as i cant get through a whole day). I also noticed the iOS is much slower at times now and often crashes. Still seems to indicate peak performance on the battery health page.

My Apple care runs out in 3 weeks. I just find it curious that the battery health dropped by 1% per month on average until Feb 2022 and has remained static since. hmmm.?

Any advice?
My 11 Pro Max has been sitting on 87% health since last year October 2021, we are now nearly in June 2022. The battery health number is severely unreliable I have to say. I have done my own thing in terms of charging, sometimes I use the 18W fast charger overnight, sometimes it’s the slower 12W or 5W charger, I just use the charger closest to me, none of them seem to affect health in my experience.

I hate that the Apple Store don’t just allow you to swap it out at this point, are you able to extend your AppleCare?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.