Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

So I disabled the 'performance management protections' to see how my iPhone 6 runs with it off. However, after I disabled it there appears to be no way to re-enable it. Have I missed something?

Why would they allow you to disable it but not warn you that you cannot revert back once you disable it? :eek:

Thanks ;)

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Hi guys,

So I disabled the 'performance management protections' to see how my iPhone 6 runs with it off. However, after I disabled it there appears to be no way to re-enable it. Have I missed something?

Why would they allow you to disable it but not warn you that you cannot revert back once you disable it? :eek:

Thanks ;)

Sounds more like a beta issue than a design choice. Have you reported it?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Sounds more like a beta issue than a design choice. Have you reported it?
Seems like a design choice to me. The option to disable was inconspicuously placed within the advisory message like so:

IMG_1108.png

and once you've disabled it, you would think the option to re-enable it would be right there in the same place...

IMG_1116.png

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
That's how Apple stated it was supposed to work. iOS 11.3 will install with zero throttling at first. If the phone crashes, throttling is automatically activated. The user can then turn off the throttling via the power management settings, but can not turn it back on. Only a phone crash can turn throttling back on.
It's not a bug. It's just the way Apple decided to do it.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
That's how Apple stated it was supposed to work. iOS 11.3 will install with zero throttling at first. If the phone crashes, throttling is automatically activated. The user can then turn off the throttling via the power management settings, but can not turn it back on. Only a phone crash can turn throttling back on.

Well that proves I know nothing then!

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Thank you for enlightening me with this info, wasn't aware that a crash would need to happen for it to turn back on. Nonetheless, Apple could have warned us that we cannot manually re-enable the feature. Thanks once again

More info here, but yes. It's designed this way and not a bug.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/06/ios-11-3-beta-2-battery-health/
Thanks for this Chazzle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.