Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2019
Hi,

I have a brand new 8 plus (purchased in aug 2020 from apple.com an year back in my home country ). For almost 14 months of usage the battery health was at 95% ( gradual decrease from 100-> 95 over a perioid of 14 months) but 2 weeks back it went 91% directly and now its at 90%. Is any issue with latest ios update (i.e 14.7.1)? any one else observed the sudden decrease in battery health.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
i'm sure, my conspiracy theory is that the ios updates are loaded with battery killers so greedy apple can cash in on battery replacements and selling new phones. too much of a coincidence that this is happening to so many iphone users at the same time

Last edited:

Crazyj414

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Don't pay attention to the battery health setting. Don't even look at it.
The time to replace a battery is when it seems like you're always having to recharge it compared to when it was new.

This is facts. My 16 mo old 11pm says it’s at 88% but I don’t notice anything wrong with the battery at all.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
i'm sure, my conspiracy theory is that the ios updates are loaded with battery killers so greedy apple can cash in on battery replacements and selling new phones. too much of a coincidence that this is happening to so many iphone users at the same time
By battery killers you mean new features that need more processing power?

I'll break it down for ya.
1. New iOS version comes with major updates that need more resources albeit not always significantly.
2. Newer iPhones have more powerful yet more efficient processors. So they tend to use less power to finish the same task compared to prior generations.
3. Software bugs that actually drain battery which when it appears to affect majority of devices will be fixed in the next .x.y update
4. Majority of Apple users don't upgrade to new devices just cuz their battery doesn't last as long. They upgrade when they find the new features more appealing. It's much easier and affordable to pay $69 to replace the battery than purchase a $1200 phone. And even Apple knows that.

Not everything is a conspiracy buddy. Unless you have actual proof besides your gut feeling, I'd sincerely suggest you give my theory a serious and objective thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.